< Chapter 22 >

You walked along a concrete pathway with flowers in your hand. You looked up at the sky and admired the beautiful white clouds, the sun shined down on your face. About a week had passed since Hange had passed away.

It was still fall, but even fall had the occasional sunny day. You slowly approached a small stone tombstone that read "Hange Zoe".

You placed the flowers on the grave and pulled a candle out from your backpack. You sat down next to the grave and placed the candle beside you. After lighting the vanilla scented candle, you faced the tombstone once more.

"Hey Hange. I'm sorry I haven't come to visit you. I was caught up with midterms. On sunny days I go out walking, it reminds me of the times I spent with you. Do you remember? The sun was always shining as we walked down the sidewalk. The student council misses you. Levi took up the role as vice president, but he thinks he's not worthy of the position." You said as you grabbed out a piece of yakisoba bread.

"Remember the time I treated you to yakisoba bread after you placed first in your grade level?" you asked as you took a bite.

This was your first time visiting Hange's grave, so you wanted to bring something that reminded you of them.

"That reminds me! Armin's still at the top of our grade, but I moved from 24th overall to 8th. Pretty good don't you think?" you boasted.

The first few days back at school were rough for you. You could hardly focus because of how much Hange's death pained you. Every day you expected to see her roaming the halls, to show up at the student council room, or to knock on your door ready to walk to school together.

They never showed up though, but deep down you knew that would never happen. It was still hard to accept Hange's death, but you were slowly getting accustomed to it.

"I've made up my mind! I'm going to work hard at my grades and one day overtake Armin! I'm starting to act like you now, I think it's a little funny." You chuckled.

"You know what? I'm going to become student council president next year and fulfill the dream you never got to!" you declared.

Hange said they changed a lot after meeting you, but the same was true for you too. After meeting Hange, you came out of your shell little by little.

You were more independent, and were able to do things on your own now. You weren't as shy as you used to be, you were able to communicate well with others. You were more determined and eager to be your best self. You constantly searched for areas in which you could improve. You had grown a lot over the past few months, all thanks to Hange.

You blew out the candle and placed it back in your bag. You swung the straps over your shoulder and adjusted the flowers. You walked closer to the tombstone and kneeled down. As you kissed their grave goodbye, you knew it was time to start a new chapter. Except the worst part of flipping the page to a new chapter, was leaving behind the contents of the last.