Chapter 12

Matilda's right hand maid quickly rushed to Matilda's palace, "Your highness", the maid greeted.

      "Gwen", she acknowledged her greeting, "what's wrong?", Matilda asked as she raised her head from the book she was so immersed in before Gwen entered. Gwen always brought juicy gossips from all over the castle to her.

      "The king has made that prisoner, Lady Janielle his new cook", Gwen said with her head still bowed.

     Matilda was shocked, "Are you sure of this?", She asked, "Tyler doesn't make just anyone his cook".

      "Exactly, that was why I quickly rushed to tell you plus this lady was his former prisoner, she may want to poison him for locking her up", Gwen said.

      "Quickly tell the maids to prepare a dress for me", Matilda said absent mindedly. Gwen bowed and went to relay Matilda's message immediately.

     "Only God knows what this boy is up to now", Matilda muttered under her breath. If there was one thing Tyler was good at, it was pissing her up.
               *.       *.       *.
       Pauline and Janielle were not given a room at the servant's quarters but they were given a room at the guest palace.

     Pauline wasn't just comfortable staying in her room doing nothing so she went to Janielle's room. She knew Janielle was free too as she was scheduled to start her duties tomorrow afternoon.

      When she entered Janielle's room, she saw that Janielle reading a book.

     "Mom, is anything wrong?", Janielle asked.

     "No, I just can't stay in my room all day doing nothing. Let's go to the market", Pauline suggested.

     "To get what?", Janielle asked excitedly already getting out of bed.

      "Well, let's go to the kitchen and see if they're short of supplies", Pauline said and left with Janielle. They finally found the kitchen after asking for directions here and there.

      A short, grey haired woman went to see them, "welcome, how may we help you?", She asked almost rudely.

     "Sorry for this early introduction but I'm the new cook, Janielle and this is my mother", Janielle did the introductions.

      When the short woman heard that, her facial expressions turned more sour, "so? You're meant to start work tomorrow and Don't be late, I'm the head cook", she was about to leave when Pauline stopped her.

      "We actually came to see if you're short of supplies so we could get them for you", Pauline said.

      The head cook looked at them suspiciously before finally letting them in the kitchen to tell them what to get.
                    *.       *.       *.
      Matilda quickly rushed to Tyler's palace.

     When she arrived, she went straight to his room and barged in without knocking.

     Tyler was reading a story to Stella who was already feeling sleepy when his mother barged in. He just sighed.

     "Don't wake Stella up", he said while quietly leaving the bed, "let's talk outside".

     "Don't keep me waiting", Matilda said and went in front of the room next to Tyler's room. Within 2 minutes, Tyler joined her.

      "What's the matter?", He asked almost irritatedly. When was his mother going to giving him issues.

     "Don't give me that look", Matilda said, "I heard you made a prisoner a cook".

     "Where do you get news from?", Tyler asked amusedly, "who said she was a prisoner?".

      "Oh please, don't try to act smart with me", Matilda hissed angrily.

      "She's my cook by the way, I don't need your opinion or advice on who to make my cook", Tyler said while leaning against a pillar opposite his mother for support.

      "How dare you talk to me like that?", His mother asked almost in tears.

       "Don't try to act so pitiful, all you do is try to influence my decisions to your favour, I don't think it's gonna work again", Tyler said calmly and went back to his room.

       Matilda just stared at his back with disbelief, was this the son she raised and protected till he became king? She just had to teach her son a lesson to tell him that she was still in charge and that she knew about this game more than he did.
              *.      *.      *.
       In the market, Janielle and Pauline got everything needed. As they were about to go, they saw a small crowd forming at the centre of the market.

     "Should we see what's happening?", Janielle asked.

     Pauline was reluctant at first because the crowd was an advantage to pick-pockets.

      "Ok, just hold the goods tightly", Pauline finally agreed.

      They walked up to that place, Pauline asked a woman beside her, "please what's happening?"

      "It's a new evangelist who just came to the city. He is a pastor", the woman replied.

     Pauline's lips formed an "oh".
     Janielle knew who an evangelist was, she had read many things about them and she was seriously intrigued by their religion. She has heard that their God even sent his son to die for the whole world. She wondered if it was true though. She could finally hear the evangelist voice clearly.

      "We are also holding a program tomorrow morning, please endeavour to be there and hear about our wonderful savior. The bringer of peace, joy and eternal life. The program will be held at Magistrate Patrick's house.

       "Magistrate Patrick is also a Christian?", Pauline exclaimed in surprise then she turned to Janielle, "we've heard enough, let's start heading back to the castle before the king finds out we left the castle".

      In the carriage, Janielle was still thinking about what the evangelist said, "mom, do you think we should go to the program at Magistrate Patrick's house tomorrow morning?"

     "I was also thinking of that but we need to prepare you for work in the afternoon", Pauline replied.

     "We can return before 2pm. After all my work starts then. Tomorrow's dinner is going to be the first meal I'll make", Janielle said excitedly.

      "You can go to the program only if you return before 1pm. You should constantly watch the clock tower", Pauline said.

      "Aren't you going to come?", Janielle asked.

      "I want to get to know the castle well so you go alone".