Chapter 16

"Take this food away and let Janielle cook alone", he said and left the dinning hall. Everyone was shocked for the fact that he cared to know the name of someone who served him and that he wanted to eat her food specially that he was willing to stay hungry.

     The maids quickly removed the dishes from the table and they escorted Janielle back to the kitchen. Word spread in the castle about what happened.

     Matilda quickly got the news from Gwen and immediately sent for Pauline.

      "My lady", Pauline greeted as soon as she entered Matilda's court. Matilda waved her hands lazily in the air and the maids there excused her and Pauline.

     "Pauline, how was your daughter's day out", Matilda asked with a smirk, "I helped you out, it's only right that you help me. Don't you think so?".

     Pauline knew it was coming to this but she wondered what it was that she wanted. "Yes, my lady".

    "Good. Why don't you sit down, let's discuss as friends", Matilda suggested and pointed to a seat by her right. Pauline hesitated for  while before sitting. She knew nothing good was going to come out of it.

     "I have noticed that my son has an eye for your daughter, yes?", Matilda asked

     "That I don't know, my lady", Pauline tried to reply carefully.

     Matilda chuckled, "oh, quit all these 'my lady' stuff and let's be free with each other, ok?"

    "Yes my... Sorry yes", Pauline replied.

    "Good, so if you haven't noticed then I have noticed. My son has found a liking towards your daughter and it's quite heartwarming considering the fact that I have never seen him eye a lady before and I think it'll be a good opportunity for us both, yes?".

     Pauline wasn't sure what to say but she already knew where Matilda was heading to. "I don't think it will be a good relationship, for his highness to get involved in a scandal with a mere palace servant. All I wish, is for the prosperity of our kingdom. Besides, I don't think my daughter will be interested".

      "Oh shut up, I'm not asking if your daughter is interested. I knew it was going to hard explaining this to you. Besides, I helped you and your daughter this morning, it's only fair you help me!", Matilda said as she picked up her hand fan to fan herself.
     Pauline didn't expect this, "ok, my lady".

    "Yes, so get your daughter to my son's bed as soon as possible. You know that we will both benefit. I get a grandson and my son gets an heir and then you become the related to the king! Isn't it amazing? And besides, you said you wish for the good will of the kingdom, you'll also be helping the kingdom with a crown prince or crown princess", Matilda kept rattling that Pauline stopped following, she just kept nodding and smiling occasionally and the Matilda dismissed her.

      Pauline quickly rushed to her room and started thinking. She had to get Janielle married of to a decent man outside the castle as soon as possible. She also had noticed the way Tyler looked at her daughter and she didn't want her daughter married to someone who was into politics let alone the king! Plus she knew it was you to cause alot of problems for Janielle in the future.
             *.   *.   *
The king ate Janielle's food and though the food wasn't that rich and sophisticated as the one made my the head cook, he still have out compliments generously. Kira was worried about the king's attitude towards Janielle. He had never complimented her cooking skills before and she could bet that she was better than Janielle, she even had more experience than her! She just used her smiles to cover her anger.
After the cleared the royal dinning, Janielle went to meet Kira.

      "Hi, you said you wanted to see me", Janielle said.
      "Oh, yes, I forgot", Kira forced a smile because immediately she saw Janielle, she immediately remembered the way Tyler complimented her, "I just wanted to ask you for help. I heard you could dance. During the king's birthday, there's going to be a dancing competition. It will be a fierce and interesting battle and there will be a competition where the women of the land show up their swordsmanship skills and the king has been generous to let the servants partake. I wanted to suggest we practice together".
Yes, this was Kira's initial plan- that they practice together but now she'd use it to get closer to her and ruin her reputation, she couldn't stand a rival when it came to king Tyler. Though she heard that various beautiful princesses would be gracing the event. She just smiled when bhe heard it, after all, she was a cook, it would be easy to take care of them.

     "Really? A competition? That would be nice! Besides, how did you know I was good at dancing?", Janielle asked.
Just as Kira was about to reply, Pauline's mother entered looking worried.

    "Janielle follow me, I want to see you urgently", Pauline said.

    Kira wondered what it was about but then she just kept her generous smile plastered to hert face, "I hope everything is alright?".

    Pauline who didn't notice her earlier turned to her and smiled, "Yes dear".

    "Ok, we should see later in the evening, bye", Janielle said and left with her mother. She wondered what made her mother so worried.
        *.  *.  *
When Pauline shut the door of her room, she turned to her daughter quietly, "you have to get married, immediately".
Janielle's face turned pale, "married?", She didn't expect that... Now. "Why? What happened?"
"Nothing, I just can't stand you being single at this age", Pauline replied.
Somehow, Janielle knew she was lying.
"Mr. Harper's son has been asking for your hand in marriage. I think you should give him a chance. Besides, you can't become a servant all your life. Marriage is the only ticket for you to leave this place", Pauline said.