Chapter 5

"The king is inviting us to have lunch with him", Duke Denvers told his family over dinner.

     Zoe and Janielle's face lit up, "really?".
     They were so happy.

    "If I'm luck, he may be my suitor for my 16th birthday. God sure has a way of giving birthday gifts", Zoe giggled excitedly.

     "You can't marry him, he's my cousin! And you shouldn't learn to dream that far", the Duke reprimanded her.

     "Why can't she dream that far?", Kathryn asked. She was obviously liking the idea of Zoe getting married to the king, "he's your cousin and so what? It only makes the royal bloodline stronger instead of weakening it with a foreigner's blood".

     Duke Denvers sighed, "we don't know why he's calling us yet so we have to just be prepared. Tyler can be something else sometimes. A maid has already been sent to get you all dresses, we leave after breakfast tomorrow".

     Janielle sighed, she wished her mom could go to the castle with her. She had heard many stories of how grand the castle was and the magnificent designs. It was something to be reckoned with among neighbouring kingdoms!

     "Are you thinking of something?", Kathryn asked after noticing Janielle's absent-mindedness, "oh, are you feeling bad that you've not gotten a suitor even at your age?". The way Kathryn said it was humiliating. Zoe cackled and this got Duke Denvers angry.

     "Why are you laughing? Have you gotten a suitor yourself?", He asked Zoe which made her keep quiet quickly. Janielle blushed in her mind, off course they didn't know the number of men who were trying to woo her. Only the butler knew and maybe some of the friends she made. She didn't want to tell Aunt Kathryn without telling her mother first.

    "Don't worry, I'd find a suitable person for you, ok?", Kathryn tried to give her a feeble assurance. Janielle nodded anyways.
                *.    *.    *.
     Tyler was at his court, having a meeting with the magistrates and elders of his kingdom, with Thomas standing at the foot of the podium where his throne was kept on.

     The magistrates were arguing about a new law that an elder proposed, this was a usually occurrence and this made the court disorderly and noisy

     "So, I have a very special surprise for you all", Tyler said a little loudly and everywhere quieted down. Everyone wondered what the surprise was. As everyone was wondering, Lady Florence and her son entered gracefully. There were audible gasps and "ha's" coming from the elders and magistrates.

     "I'd like to make room for the fourth Duke in this land. You all know this kingdom keeps becoming greater and stronger. So he will be in charge of external and foreign affairs. This will also help reduce the work load of the other Dukes", Tyler said slowly, wanting the new and unexpected information to sink in. "So what do you all think?".

     Tyler turned in time to see the look of shock, surprise and distrust on Lady Florence and her son's face. The side of his lips involuntarily pulled up. He was enjoying his little show, "and also", he added which made everyone's ear turn wide all expecting to hear another bombshell. "We'll have visitors for lunch, so tomorrow's afternoon meeting will be cancelled, we will have the meeting at mid night". Tyler said this and stood up to leave, not wanting an objection.

    As he was about walking out, his mother walked in, "mother! Women are not allowed in here except given a special invitation", Tyler said angrily. His mother was always defiling him!
"So kill me then!", She screamed angrily, "and what am I hearing about the creation of another position of a Duke. Your fathers all reigned with three Dukes! So what are you doing?".

      Tyler sighed deeply and walked out after dismissing everyone.
His mother was so shocked, she tearfully went back to her room, why was her son getting out of control.
She was wondering what was Tyler's plan by giving his enemies a chance, why couldn't he confide in her with his plans! Day by day, she was being shifted out of the picture and she had to do something.
              *.      *.      *.
      Tyler was done with his meeting with one of the Dukes and was about entering his room, when a servant quickly hurried to meet him.

"Your highness", the servant greeted with his head bowed," your mother wants to see you immediately".
     Tyler nodded, "tell her, I'd be there in 5 minutes".

     The servant bowed and walked out. Tyler entered his room looking exasperated and removed his jacket. He didn't mean to provoke his mother but he had to. His mother was always getting on his nerves.

     In no time, he arrived at his mother's palace and walked right in without knocking. When he entered, his mother was practicing her Chinese on paper.

    "You called me", he quickly said without exchanging pleasantries or formalities.

    "Sit down first,dear", she said again with a sweet voice. Tyler sat down with a confuses look.

    "What do you want, mother?", He asked again.
Matilda laughed softly, "so I can't call my son to spend some time with me. It's been a while since we spoke like mother and son and I'm missing it so much".

     Tyler smiled, he had to really agree that his mother's acting skill was incredible, "what happened?"

     Matilda cleared her throat twice and this was what gave Tyler the impression that she was going to do and say nonsense.

     "You don't have a concubine, a royal consort, a wife or a baby mama at your age!!"