𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗲

Isolophilia (n.) - Strong affection for solitude, or being alone.

Vincenzo

Gulping the whiskey, I slammed the glass onto the counter. The spirit left a burning sensation in my throat, yet the taste had me wanting more. Like an addiction. An obsession.

The bartender refilled my glass. Swirling the contents of the poured neat whiskey, I brought the glass to my lips savoring the taste.

"Creating a scene at your engagement party?" He smirked. Fucking bastard.

"Whiskey. Neat." He ordered himself settling on the stool.

"I'm not the only one getting engaged." I delivered smugly.

Alexei's dark eyes narrowed into slits. If looks could kill, I'd be six feet under the cold hard ground. I can see him snapping any moment, yet like every single fucking time I comprehend his control. I had known him better than anyone and vice-versa. He is the calmness that arrived before the calamity.

"Don't overdrink," He spoke gruffly downing his glass of whiskey.

"Aww, if I'm not mistaken, anyone would think you actually care for me." I snicker.

"As if," He scoffed.

"Then I suggest you mind your own god damn business," I spat.

"My business is to ensure my brother-in-law doesn't get drunk tonight and embarrass my little sister." He spat back.

Brother-in-law? the title had my throat constricting.

"Adopted sister you mean," My gaze clashed with his. I saw a glimpse of it and it had disappeared in a flash.

"Say it again, I dare you." He warned holding his glass tightly.

I grinned. Oh, I knew I had just poked the sleeping bear, and I fucking loved it. I loved how I knew how to push his buttons.

"I'm not in the mood to repeat myself." I shrugged nonchalantly sipping the whiskey.

He glared at me. I returned the favor. I didn't waver. He didn't either. The standoff dragged with the music and the people around us.

I know it was wrong for me to point it out. But the bastard that I am, didn't give a flying fuck. The standoff recalled the memories of the past. The good old times. I saw he recognized them too. Now gone with a whisk. Vanished into thin air along with her.

"He isn't coming?" Alexei implored.

I shrugged.

"What does that mean?"

"What does it look like?" I challenged.

"Is he coming or not?"

Why was the bastard so interested in his presence?

"I don't know."I sipped the whiskey.

Honestly, when I had texted him the fucker didn't even reply. Always acting his mighty self.

"That means he's into hiding." Alexei didn't ask, he supplied.

"You keeping tabs on us?"

Alexei smirked gulping the whiskey. I glared at him. Seemed like the bastard is keeping an eye on our moves.

"Hey Handsome," A grotesque voice snapped me rendering a blink.

Alexei groaned.

"Hello to you too, brother," The grotesque woman spoke again.

"Brother?" I quizzed.

"Cousin," he said ignoring her.

"My name's Isabelle, Isabelle Santiago. It's a pleasure to meet you, Vincenzo Romano." She traced a perfectly manicured purple-painted nail over my bicep.