Chapter 31: Mysterious Savior

Start from the beginning

"Stop that immediately or I will call the authorities!" a voice boomed. I shivered when I heard it, a strange calmness coming over me. The woman attacking me halted, fear clouding her face. She glanced over at the open window, a whimper escaping her lips. The man in the car spoke again. "Get out of here, now."

The wraith-possessed woman took one last longing look at me before bolting from the alley, and off into the crowds towards the front of the nightclub.

I glanced over at the open window, rubbing at my neck as I inched forward. "Thanks for that. I'm not sure what set her off."

I stopped at the edge of the door, nervous of a man who could inspire such terror with so few words. I wondered if the woman knew him, otherwise, how could you explain the fear he elicited.

He was younger than I expected, in his mid-twenties if I had to guess. He was also beautiful. I couldn't help but stare as I examined the sharp line of his chin, high cheekbones, perfect nose, and the slightly gaunt appearance of his face. His hair was dark brown and styled so the left side tucked back behind his ear, while the other side covered the entirety of his right eye. The single eye that I could see was narrow, the iris so dark that it appeared black to me. He was wearing a large brown fur coat, with a fancy logo shirt under it, and a pair of leather pants. As I stared at him I knew I had seen him from somewhere and wondered if he was a famous model or actor, whose name I just forgot. I would have to describe him to Zola later.

     As I was looking at him, he was also blankly taking in my appearance

As I was looking at him, he was also blankly taking in my appearance. "Are you alright? Do you need further assistance?" His voice was cold, monotone.

"Oh no, thank you," I replied nervously. I could sense his feelings just faintly, he was curious and annoyed, I hoped not with me. I glanced over at the front of the building. "Thank you very much for stopping that woman. I'll just go back inside and find my friend."

"Yes, it's dangerous out here, especially alone," he said in a bored sort of way, looking out the window at the other side of the street. He glanced back at me, his eyes narrowed as he stared, almost like he found me familiar also. I was about to excuse myself again when he raised his finger slowly, pointing at my head. I reached up to touch the area where he was pointing, realizing my wig was dangerously askew.

"Oh jeez," I muttered, grabbing at my head. I sighed and pulled the wig off, admitting defeat. I was done being in disguise. After my encounter with the wraith-possessed woman, I wanted to find my friends and get the heck out of there, especially if those detectives were lurking around. I was running my fingers through my hair, trying to undo the braids and fix my bangs when I noticed the man in the car leaning forward, his gaze focused on me. I realized I was using his mirrored windows to fix my appearance and I was suddenly embarrassed.

"You..."

"I'm sorry, I didn't... I mean," I babbled, waving my hands as I stepped away. "I'll just go now."