Is he saying that my uncle was not a wildlife photographer, but a hired PI sent to spy on Vaughn? Is this some kind of joke? 

"...What?" I ask him lowly, searching his eyes for signs of him not being serious. 

But then again, this is Vaughn, and why would he joke about something like this?

"I'm sorry, Mikaere, I only found out when I returned and talked to my father."

"No, no, I'm not following. You're telling me that my uncle lied to me and was actually a private investigator instead of a wildlife photographer?"

"Your uncle?" Siara bursts out, clearly caught off guard. And by the looks of the other faces around us, everyone else is, too.

"My father told me he got fired and was stranded in Alaska without connections, so he gave him a job. After he fulfilled his job and verified my location, he decided he liked Chickaloon and decided to stay there."

"So...your father sent my uncle after you...and in the end, because he went, he ended up dead."

I stare into the flickering flames, trying to come to terms with this new information. 

In all honesty, it makes sense. Why would he go out to this middle-of-nowhere village of all places? A place where only a few people have even heard of? Why make the effort of knowing Vaughn? 

And then, there's the whole Henry-and-getting-killed-for-discovering-what-happened-to-Rachel ordeal. John, fired up from getting paid to take pictures of someone and get information, went confidently searching for more and ended up witnessing a murder. 

I sigh, shaking my head. "Well, I didn't expect to learn that today."

Vaughn seems to be reading my expression, trying to see how I'm really handling the new information, and I give him a little nod, trying to let him know it's fine. 

It's a shock, sure, but honestly...not the most shocking thing I've learned since coming here to Juneau.

Everyone's quiet for a bit, not knowing what to say until Siara thankfully just decides to start talking again. "Um...so anyway, V, I found out why dad was so upset at dinner that night."

Vaughn doesn't say anything. Instead, he just waits for her to continue on.

"Turns out that first murdered blond guy? Yeah, it was dad's accountant. Just made it really inconvenient for him."

"Speaking of which," Jasmine adds, sounding solemn, "I got a call on the way out here. Another blonde girl was attacked. She lived, though."

"Really?" Tommy asks, surprised. "Well, that's good. Has she been able to say anything about the person who attacked her?"

"All she was able to say is that she heard a male voice 'muttering' the words, 'black and blue' and the name, 'Anna.' She was attacked from behind, so she didn't get a good look at him."

"What the..." Siara trails off. "So, this murderous guy is just wandering the streets looking for a blonde named Anna?" 

 "And he wants to turn her black and blue?" Zeke adds. 

"What are the chances that a murderer starts his killing right as Vaughn and Mikaere show up, honestly?" Siara shakes her head. "Y'all have some bad luck."

Vaughn, Tommy, and I just stay quiet, each apparently absorbing this information, but I nod. I've had a few too many murderous encounters for my liking. 

But I imagine how worried everyone with light hair must be right now, because this is, what? The third attack since around the time I got here? I've never been so relieved to have dark hair and a boy's name.