CHAPTER 17- CHARITY

Start from the beginning

"I changed your look from the outside," Knave replied.

Alice swallowed. "Changed my look?" She looked at herself self-consciously. "Into what?" She asked, not sure she wanted to hear the answer.

"A beggar." He replied flatly.

"You made me..," She was so angry, that words failed her.

Knave held up a hand, stopping her. "You can thank me later."

"How dare you even...," Alice broke off, as she got a clear view of the mansion. "Wow!" She exclaimed.

The mansion was grey, decorated with all sorts of colourful flowers, making the air smell sweet. Before Alice got a chance to see more, Pete ushered them inside.

Alice found herself entering a big hall. Scented candles were lit. The windows were covered with heavy, red silk curtains. Expensive couches and tables were all over the hall. The walls were a peach colour, with sea paintings hanging on them. Several servants, all dressed in white shirts and black pants, were running around the hall.

Knave's eyes seemed stuck on one of the servants standing near the couch. Alice followed his eyes, and saw a pretty, young girl who looked about the same age as Knave. Her lush and thick brown hair was tied in a ponytail. She was holding a tray which was full of drinks. Juices, lemonade, and drinks Alice was not sure of.

The girl's cheeks were pink, as she smiled at the group of women who were sitting on the couches. All were dressed in designer clothes, and were wearing the finest of jewellery. None of them seemed to have noticed Alice yet.

"Aria!" Whispered Knave. Alice looked at him. Without looking at her, he said, "Her name is Ariana." He was still gazing at the girl Aria, with loving eyes. "She was my only best friend here!"

Alice felt an emotion she was unfamiliar with. She could not name it, but it bothered her to an extent that she had to bite her lips to try and divert herself.

Thankfully, a beautiful woman appeared from inside a room. The kitchen perhaps? Whatever the case, it greatly helped Alice take her mind off Aria.

Even if Alice had not heard Knave suck in a breath, she would've known that the woman was his mother. They shared the same sharp features. The same radiant smile. The woman had black eyes. Her brown hair was neatly braided. She held herself with a grace befitting a queen. Alice could not help but imagine, that her mother would've loved her.

"Is she the girl, Pete?" Asked the woman, looking at Alice kindly.

"Yes, Madam!" Pete replied.

The woman nodded. "You may now leave, Pete." She said.

The guard gave a small nod, and disappeared from where they had come. Everyone's attention in the room was now on Alice.

"Leave it to you to give charity, Lorine!" Said one of the women from the couches. Aria offered Alice a kind smile. Alice nodded in response.

Knave's mother Lorine, just smiled. "Of course! It is a way to gain a little peace in this unpeaceful world, Gene." She replied in a modulated voice.

Knave looked as if he were trying really hard to hold himself back, and not run to grab his mother in a hug.

"Please serve yourselves! I will join you in a minute." Said Lorine. Then, she looked at Alice with kind eyes. "Follow me, dear!"

After a long walk through several corridors, they finally reached the lawn. The lawn was, like the other parts of the mansion, beautiful. It was filled with vibrant green grass. The place smelled like rain and mud. Alice could hear birds tweeting, but could not spot them.