Awkward Moments

"Injecting the anesthetic now," says the anesthesiologist, "Now Jade, start counting from 10 to 1."

Here goes nothing.

10

9

8

7

and I'm into blackness again.

*

Here's my little bee. Mama has missed you so much, I'm sorry I couldn't be on your side. I left you all alone...

I'm in a very bright room, my mum is hugging me and my body feels so light I think I could fly if only I'd try. Outside the windows I can see the sea, or maybe the ocean, I'm not quite sure where I am. I squeeze her a little more, then I release the embrace.

"Am I dead? Is this heaven?"

No baby girl, you're just sleeping. You still have a long way to go before you come here for good, trust me.

"What if I don't wanna go?"

Then you'd lose everything you've fought so hard for... You'd never even see your baby's face.

I close my eyes, tears threatening to spill out and tell her the news, "Mum? I'm so sorry you're not getting the boy you wanted."

Why are you so sad my love? This baby is a gift, girl or boy, it doesn't make any difference. Be sure I'll be spoiling her from up here nonetheless. And I'll always keep her and you safe.

Now I'm just crying an ocean of tears, and I thank her with all the power I have, with all the power those words hold. Then, right before I'm brought back to reality, I hear her say,

Live and be happy, my bee. Fly towards those flowers that will support you no matter what. I love you.

Then the room disappears, my mum vanishes and all I'm left with is a tingling sensation on my skin.

*

I wake up in my room again, my eyes have a difficult time opening up, because my eyelids feel as heavy as a brick and I'm tired. I can feel tingles on my arm skin, I try turning my head to my left side and I see an expanse of blue: everyone on Dr. Melendez's team is here and someone is poking my arm, causing the tingles.

"She's waking up, everything is good, her vitals are stable," Dr. Murphy stops touching my arm and gets up, making the stool available for Dr. Melendez to sit on.

"How are you feeling?"

"I've been better, but can't complain to be honest," I say with a hoarse voice, "I can't feel anything and the burning sensation is no longer there."

"We gave you as much painkiller as possible, you should start feeling the difference in a couple hours max. The surgery went well anyway, you'll start physical therapy as soon as the bones will allow it, okay?"

"Alright. Thank you, doctor," I manage to say and then I'm off to sleep again.

*

It's now 4pm, I haven't eaten anything for lunch, because I was busy sleeping and now my stomach is grumbling like it hasn't seen food in centuries. I hear a knock on the door and I see Dr. Garcia peeking in.

"Hello Ms. Miller, are you recovering just fine?" she asks me entering the room.

"Yes, although..." and before I can even put my discomfort into words, my stomach erupts with a gurgling noise, "as I was about to say, I'm starving."

Dr. Garcia calls for a nurse and tells her if she could bring me something to eat before dinner. When the nurse comes back she's holding a tray with a chocolate protein bar, a peach, and a glass of fresh water. Not the richest of late lunches, but enough to get to dinner. I thank the nurse and when she leaves, I open up the chocolate bar. I count to ten in order to relax and not devour the little thing in just one bite. The Ob-Gyn sees that and starts laughing.