An Uninvited Pursuit

Start from the beginning

'That camp's inviting us inside,' Watson nodded, adjusting his dagger-belt.

'And we accept the invite.' Daniel completed. The overcast sky didn't seem so gloomy anymore. Just one trip inside that camp and then, they could return. Easy enough.

That's one thing a spy should never say.

Easy.

The three of them entered the camp- it was dark inside. A conical ceiling with a skull - definitely artificial - hanging from its tip like a chandelier.

Terrorists had a sense of humor, after all. Huge regions were curtained off. It struck Alexandra a bit suspicious. No guards? No traps? Watson pushed aside one side of the curtains. No alarm went off. Beyond the curtain was a disarray of weapons. Swords and shields, helmets, bows and arrows - in fact, the most populous weapon here was the one Alexandra carried in her own sheath.

Daggers.

'What's this?' Daniel said, walking towards the bit of exposed weaponry. The area was so quiet that his footsteps sounded like bricks falling, 'They have left their weaponry exposed? Is this is a trap or are they utter fools?'

'Unfortunately for you, Spy, this IS a trap.'

The two things Alexandra hated most, was when the enemy succeeded in either duping them, or in surrounding them. Here, they had done both.

As soon as the deep, male voice answered Daniel's question, both Alexandra and Watson turned and hurried backwards, stopping on either side of Daniel. The sight that then met their eyes was not pretty at all.

They were pushed in front of the weapons behind them. And facing them stood a huge, tall man... Alexandra couldn't see his face in the darkness - but it made no difference anyhow- flanking him, on each side, stood at least fifteen other men.

Great. Thirty armed men against three disoriented spies.

'Oh yes, very smart!' Alexandra said, nevertheless, 'Thanks for the weapons right behind us, at least you didn't leave us unarmed.'

The central man laughed. A true, humorous laugh. 'So, woman, you think that junk is real weapons?' He laughed again, Alexandra turned back- how could she have missed it before! These were bent swords, useless arrows, broken bows and almost all shields had holes in them. Even the daggers were damaged.

'Stop laughing, idiot.' Watson said, 'Of course they are weapons. Just because a human loses a leg, he doesn't become a monkey!'

'QUIET!' Bellowed the man- with astonishing force, 'Three puny spies- against the thirty of us, and you talk! You still live, only because I am too amused-'

'Call a hundred more men and then perhaps we'll be well-matched!' Daniel said, cutting him across.

'I said, Quiet! And then you might as well have a quick death!' He replied, throwing a dagger at Daniel, who simply bent to the right side - Alexandra thrust her hand forward and caught the dagger, she threw it to Watson - who was a bit ambidextrous - though his right hand didn't work as well as his left.

'That's one weapon extra for us!' Watson said, 'Come on, Captain, let's show this dog and his pack, some of our Master's tricks!'

Together, the three of them charged.

The men were armed, but woefully untrained. Alexandra kicked one in the chest, he collapsed. She picked up his shield and sword, tossing the sword into the pile of junk, she proceeded deeper with the shield.

Compared to the Agents Alexandra had fought, these men were kids. It might have been only half and hour when the leader- he now had a nasty gash across his face (which Alexandra had made) and didn't look as confident as before- whistled.