Master George's Judgement

Alexandra took Penelope to the Council.

'Sir.' She nodded to Master George, secretly very glad to be seeing his familiar face. 'I've got proof of the Barrister's guilt,'

'Very good!' He boomed, then his eyes fell on Penelope. 'A girl? Another girl?!'

'No sir, she's not joining in! She's just ten. The barrister, however, had kidnapped her.'

'What?'

'Yes, Sir.' And she told him the whole story. Master George's eyebrows travelled up and up his forehead as he heard more and more. He shook his head when he heard the part about the well-wisher. Alexandra showed the signed paper, it was good she got it. Then he looked mortified. It was not the expression she had expected out of him - but perhaps, now that he'd shown it - mortification was the realest thing he could have shown. After all, they were all his students. 

'Take her to the mess, she looks starved.' He told Alexandra, 'and tell them not to disturb me. I want some time to think.'

Alexandra nodded, she led Penelope to the mess. The ten year old ate like she hadn't done in ten years. Alexandra was quite amused, as far she knew, she herself was the only one who ate with such glee.

'What is this place?' Penelope asked, through mouthfuls.

'A school,' Alexandra smiled.

'And the bald man?'

'My teacher,' she informed. 'Sometime after you go home, a few men will come ... they're the Law Enforcing Officers. They'll ask you a few things. Don't be scared, don't worry about anything. Just answer them truthfully, alright?'

Penelope nodded, she ate some more. She hoped Penelope didn't keep many memories of those times in the basement. They'd be permanent scars - but as of now, the girl seemed quite relaxed. Alexandra helped herself to some edibles too, the inn's food had been nothing like this. Everything there had been bland and tasteless. Like they hadn't put in enough salt. The council's food, however, felt like something that belonged to her. It sent down homely warmth to Alexandra.

Later, as she returned from dropping the girl home - to a sobbing mother, Alexandra smiled broadly to herself. 

The street football wouldn't be lopsided anymore.

* * *

Nobody certainly failed the test. After they had all returned, the first evening, when Master George was supposed to announce them "passed" - that evening, was not nice at all.

'Yes, you all passed,' he told them, coming straight to point. 'But that doesn't mean you are passing out, any of you six.' He added, pointing to the boys. They had seemed mildly astonished that Alexandra was still there, alive. But none had shown it clearly. As though it mattered. As though Alexandra didn't know.

'Why, sir?' Asked Venly, innocently.

'Why?' Master George demanded, looking at the end of his patience. 'I'll get straight to the point then! Which of you sold Mabel off to the Court Barrister?'

Alexandra watched all the six go paler than skimmed milk. The temperature seemed to have dropped. Alexandra smirked as the rest exchanged one or two nervous looks, then, 'wh-at sir?' Asked Hans.

'What? After doing everything you say what. Fine, I will tell you - a tall, tanned, Hazel eyed boy. Get up, the only such person here!'

A bit of shuffling, but no one got up. Alexandra felt her heart beat rapidly... anytime now. The teacher shook his head. 'I expected no better, cowards. Cian Paul. Stand up.'