An Egregious Discovery

Why did Alexandra always run into the wrong people?

Three days after her meeting with the Commander, Alexandra got the information of when and where Jessica and Patrick were going to meet. She had set up Jack, a trustworthy fourth year - to bring her the intelligence.

Apparently, Jessica was going to meet Patrick in the Military Camp - a small forest area just behind the camp was where they always met. It was secluded and quiet. Just perfect for them.

Back to the initial question - why did Alexandra always run into the wrong people?

Like for instance, why did she run into Liam on her way?

Goodness alone knew.

This time, it was on her way to the Military camp. Mid-December, cold, dry winds blew the whole days out. Nobody came out into the streets much.

The Military Camp was a long way from the Council. It was part of the whole Military Block - which included the Military Barracks, Military Headquarters, Military Mess, Military Arena and the Military Meeting Hall.

The rest were fine, but in the Military Arena, as all the "dangerous" men went about showcasing their immense skill and talent, the one particular person she had to collide with was Liam.

'Sorry!' Was what Alexandra squeaked - not quite realizing who it was, but with so many aggressive males around, it was always better to be a bit well-mannered. Then she looked up - saw the familiar face. But Alexandra had not even been able to complete her sigh of relief when Liam lost his marbles.

At least that was what Alexandra thought happened - in that split moment. She had been holding Moira under her cloak, anyhow. Liam had taken one look at her, he himself was only armed with a dagger - one look and then,

SLASH!

He slashed his dagger in the air - Alexandra jumped back, had she not, she would have been back with Nurse Rose.

And then, Hell broke loose.

Liam was pushing her so hard - all Alexandra could do was keep away from that blade. All her practice was futile - she had never seen such an unconventional dagger-use.

'Come on, duel with full strength. Disarm me.' He muttered, his golden eyes glittering menacingly.

Alexandra's mouth opened in surprise at that. What was going on? A sudden duel?

Disarm?!

Could that even be done? Given the speed, the skill and the danger, Alexandra seriously doubted it.

But she could try, if this was only a practical test. Liam wasn't going kill her, for sure. And this was an Arena - people practiced here.

Besides, it was fun.

Alexandra had half a view of somebody else - maybe the person who'd been earlier dueling with Liam. He had a perfect I don't know what in the world is happening look. Alexandra would have laughed - had she not been so busy in saving herself.

She ducked - she had a hazy memory of teaching people to duck, she turned and bent down, flipping over. Alexandra had never exerted herself so much in a dagger duel. They had always been easy for her.

Five minutes of the duel was how much it took for Alexandra to get out of breath. The bind of her hair broke loose, scattering her face with the dark, reddish chestnut brown hair. She blew them away, exasperated.

'Come on, a bit more Alexandra,' Liam meanwhile smirked. Then she realized that he was toying with her. That if Liam came upto his full potential, she wouldn't last for ten seconds.