Watson's Shortcuts

Depuis le début

'Shut up. And by that I mean- shut your mouth to stop eating, not speaking.' Alexandra said, pulling him out of the orchard.

Alexandra, actually though, was pretty surprised at how normal Kane was behaving, like nothing had happened. If she had told somebody of her own life story- she'd be a bit more thoughtful, had she done the right thing? Would they keep it to themselves? Kane didn't seem to have any such qualms.

It perhaps showed how valuable trust was. If it was earned, it gave you a proud tingling - every time Alexandra thought it over, rolled that thought in her mind- they trust me, she felt the same unexplained pride and happiness.

Then again, valuable things are always fragile. Trust. Respect. Love. They didn't come easy and once gone, return or replacement was impossible.

* * *

'Come on, spill it out.' Fannel urged her. But Alexandra didn't reply, staring ahead and rocking.

They were back at the house and Alexandra sat curled up in the rocking chair in one corner of a room. She'd tried to act normal, but after hearing Kane's story- It was a bit difficult.

'It's nothing- really,' Alexandra replied.

'Lying is a skill, Sister. And you have to work harder on it,'

'Look- fine, I'm telling you - I haven't told a single person about Diana and that has been our secret,'

'So you mean - you mean you have Kane's secret now, too?' He said, putting a hand on her shoulder.

'Yes. But just as in your case, I can't tell,'

'That's good.' Fannel told her. 'Gives me the idea that my own secrets are safe in your stomach. Be in the Hall in five minutes, we've got to discuss somethings Daniel found out today,'

Alexandra nodded, glad Fannel understood as much.

Nobody can defeat you until you accept defeat. Where had he learnt these philosophies?

Where there is a spiritual mind, philosophy finds its own way. Her own mind replied.

'Goodness, I'm not much better, am I?!' Alexandra exclaimed to herself.

* * *

'Look, we need to check out this Drum's Corner. It seems too important,' Daniel said, marking out a drum shaped piece of land on the Map of Losiane.

'Why?' Asked Kane, glancing at Alexandra and giving her a small nod.

'We visited it today- as normal people- tourist.' Watson said, 'and they have these huge hills there, which they keep roped off. If there ARE terrorists here, I'm sure-'

'You alone?' Fannel asked him,

'We're sure,' Watson corrected, 'That they are being trained in these hills.'

'Caution: We don't have time to waste and this could be a very normal Rope off.' Alexandra said,

'Caution rejected.' Watson replied, off-handedly. 'The place had small small encampments. And if the area goes quiet, like it did today, for a while, we can hear men grunting from those Hills. As though they are in strenuous exercise. And the hills have NO other sign of being harmful, so there's no practical reason for it being roped off.'

'I say - two of us should go and check,' Said Fannel.

'I'm staying in, tomorrow.' Kane said, raising his hands up, 'Watson and Mabel?'

'The two juniors? Alone?!' Daniel asked,

'Then you go with them, Dan.' Kane told him.

'Yes, that sounds fine, Kane. You three- I'll scout more territories and you can stay in,' Fannel nodded, putting a hand on Alexandra's shoulder. She was thankful he didn't ruffle his hair, at least.

'Agreed.' Daniel said. 'Let's book that Drum Corner for tomorrow.'

* * *

'What are we even supposed to do, here?' Alexandra asked the two men, they stood on the edge of the Drum Corner. Sure enough, not-very-high hills rose in front of them, like small boulders fixed to each other. Alexandra didn't see any encampments- but maybe they were hidden strategically.

'Our job is to only confirm that this is a terrorist training centre,' Daniel replied, 'Then write to the council. They'll see what is to be done.'

'Yes, we've got a terrorist plague to end, only, we're not the front-line warriors,' Watson said,

'We are sort of Offline Warriors- no lines exist for spies,' Alexandra said.

'Captain, you have got the drollest of ideas.'

'End it, you two,' Daniel commanded. 'Let's approach from behind.'

'How many kilometers would that be?' Alexandra asked,

'A hundred, but I've got shortcuts.' Watson replied, grinning in his mischief-maker way.

Alexandra got it hammered into her brain that day- NEVER trust Watson's shortcuts.

He first led them through a thicket of musty, damp woods- a tiny tropical forest, mostly. It was small, slashed out from the hills for some reason. And Alexandra was glad it didn't extend too much. That was fine. Then, ahead of the three spies spanned an endless abyss. The only way to cross which, was a rickety, old, narrow wooden bridge.

'No!' Cried Alexandra, having one look at it, 'This can't take our weight!'

'Of course it can,' Watson replied, 'Watch me.' And he hopped on to the wood, it creaked horribly with each step, but Watson walked uncaring of the huge, irreversible fall he'd have in case it snapped. It made Alexandra remember of the ropewalking in their first year... how much everybody had changed! He finally stepped off it on the other end, then gestured frantically from there - urging them to come on.

'After you,' Daniel said.

Alexandra had no much choice. She took a deep breath and put a foot on it. Her mind seemed to be yelling at her in panic, Have you gone crazy?! Step right back and don't you ever try this again! But for once Alexandra ignored it.

At least the bridge didn't break.

'I'm never coming with you on a trial again!' She told Watson, glad to be on solid ground once again, 'Next don't ask me to swim,'

'Not swimming,' Watson agreed, 'Only avoiding scorpions and giant spiders. That forest there? It's full of them. And that's all we have to cross. About ten kilometers and we'll be at the back of the Hills.'

'Can I just die?'

'Not an option.' Watson replied brightly, not even a little perturbed.

'Come on,' Daniel said, looking sick. 'And I'm having your salary cut, Mr. Watson - if we don't reach the Hills.'

'Keep that offer,' Watson replied, 'Because we ARE reaching them. Alive or dead.'

'I don't like the sound of that,' Alexandra swore. 'Not one bit.'