Chapter 8: The Queen is the Only Council Member that Doesn't Want Virgil Dead

"Looks like winter came early, what happened to you?" Remus asked as Roman walked to his room, Virgil already closing the door to his own.

"I ran into a spiderweb," Roman answered bluntly.

Remus started laughing hard at his brother. "Wow! I didn't realize you were an idiot! It was a good thing the spider wasn't there, or was it?"

"It... was. Virgil saved me." The prince went to his room and beelined straight for his bathroom, being followed by Remus.

"Really?! Wow, can't believe you had to be saved by sir skinny arms."

"Hey, leave him alone! He was actually a really good fighter."

"Didn't you hate him?" his brother asked in a teasing tone.

"I don't hate him, I just don't particularly like having to babysit him."

"Uh huh, is that why you took him to Daisy's Honey yesterday? And got him new clothes and a fancy new haircut?"

"Okay, I got him new clothes and a haircut because I wasn't going to walk around with someone that has a horrible fashion sense. And I took him to Daisy's because I was hungry and wanted food, and I wasn't going to let him starve as I ate in front of him."

"Okay okay, fine."

"What the hell are you implying, Remus?"

"I'm just saying, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up as a king, right next to you. Maybe he's the adventure you were waiting for, I bet you want to explore him-"

"Remus! What is wrong with you?!"

"A lot of things! That's why you're going to be king and not me."

"No, the reason I'm the crowned prince is because I'm the eldest."

"Only by a few minutes!"

"It still counts! Besides, you're wrong about Virgil. I won't fall in love with him, and he won't fall in love with me. In fact he was calling me an idiot the whole time he was saving me."

"So he was just pointing out the obvious. Also Logan and Janus both still call me an idiot, especially in situations like that."

"You can leave!" Roman started pushing his brother out.

"I'm just saying, before Logan and I started dating we hated each other. Now we kiss each other breathless!"

Roman pushed Remus out of his room and shut the door on the laughing fairy. The crowned prince started waving at his face to calm the blush, his brother was just so embarrassing!

~~~

Virgil blinked his eyes open, not realizing he had fallen asleep the moment he hit the bed after returning home from the spider fight. He wondered how long he had been asleep.

He looked out of the wicker window and saw it was still bright out, so either he slept through dinner and to the next day or it wasn't a long nap. He took a deep breath and sat up, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

The borrower thought about the fight. Normally he would have run from spiders, especially one that big, but Roman was in danger. He didn't even think about it before he jumped into the fight, grabbing the nearest stick to him. It was strange, protecting someone else. It made him feel good, useful.

There was a knock at the door and he quickly fixed his hair and clothes before rushing to it. His eyes widened when he opened the door and he gave a small bow.

"Your majesty," he greeted the queen. What was she doing here?!

"Virgil, am I correct?" she asked. He nodded and took a step back to allow her in.

"May I help you with anything?" he asked, feeling nervous in her presence.

"I just came for a small chat, and perhaps a request. I heard that you saved my son from a tarantula earlier."

"Y-yes. I'm sure he would have been fine on his own, since he's strong."

"I'm sure, but according to Remus, Roman called you a good fighter."

Virgil couldn't help but blush at the compliment. "He did?" The queen nodded. "Well, I'm not very strong, I guess I just fight smart."

"Well, you do need to be smart in a fight. Perhaps with a bit of training, and a healthier diet, you can get stronger."

"Training, ma'am?"

"That brings me to my request. Since you're going to be around my son constantly, I was thinking of making you his guard."

"But I have no magic, or wings."

"True, but you have protected Roman once already, and it's only been a few days. Besides, Roman doesn't have a guard and he's the crowned prince! He's never liked having a guard, but he is being ordered to be responsible for you. Plus, it could make my husband and the rest of the council like you more if you're 'useful'. I don't always agree with them. What do you say?"

"I-it would be an honor."

"Perfect! You'll start training tomorrow morning!"

"Olivia, dear." Virgil tensed when he heard the king's voice. He appeared in the doorway with a scowl on his face. "What are you doing here?"

"Making Virgil Roman's guard! Isn't it a wonderful idea? I thought it would be for the best." The queen waved Virgil goodbye and left the room, being quickly followed by the king who glared at Virgil one last time.

Despite being scared, Virgil went to the door and listened in on their conversation.

"Love, that's a terrible idea!" the king warned. "If we train him, he could become strong enough to hurt us!"

"If he wanted to hurt us, he would have let the spider kill our son and run away. Instead, he saved him," the queen explained. "Besides, I like him."

"He's nothing but a troublesome rat, I know it." Virgil flinched at the insult, being too used to hearing it while being beaten half to death.

"You're too paranoid."

"I still think it was a good idea to not execute him."

"It was your idea."

"And?"

Virgil sighed as the conversation faded off, grateful for his good hearing. Well, it was official, the king still wanted him dead. Great. At least the queen liked him.

Hopefully the training he's going to receive tomorrow won't be horrible. He wasn't the strongest, so he will probably struggle with whatever they give him. But hey, maybe whoever will train him will be nice.