Paradise Courting Club

Start from the beginning

The man wore a black, shining cloak. But it was not entirely a cloak, because it was belted at his waist and the belt appeared to be solid kilograms of gold. His shoes glinted under the table - they almost shot similar blinding beams into Alexandra's eyes.

'Sponsors,' she muttered. She hadn't seen such a couple in her entire life, they were sponsors - but they seemed to be living off debts - such was the extravagance.

'Hmm,' Kane nodded, 'let's take the seat farthest away. It will give off a signal that we don't want to disturb - or get disturbed - whatever that means.'

'Right,' Alexandra told him, 'whatever that means.' And shrugged, because she was wondering what coming to such a club with Liam would feel like. Then it hit her that it was a courting club, and tried to banish the idea. But it stuck on, refusing to budge, and she surmised that he would probably give himself life imprisonment in Idgard rather than come here.

Walking away from the sponsors, they turned round the corner and sat down, facing each other at the farthest table. Alexandra was just pulling off her cloak, when she noticed the lady sponsor staring at her, in a side glance.

She then turned away and called one of the waiters, said something to him and waved him off.

The very same waiter approached Alexandra and Kane. He gave a low bow, 'Excuse me - have you reserved this table?' He asked.

'No,' Said Kane, 'Has anyone else reserved it?'

The waiter hesitated, 'No, but no reservation - no service. That's the rule,'

'Alright, send your manager. We'll see about the service,' He replied.

'But Sir, try to underst-'

'Mr. Waiter,' Alexandra interrupted, putting on another grin and folding her hands upon the table. 'You work so hard! But your wages are rather poor, aren't they?'

He stared at her for a second, so did Kane, both unsure about what to do. Then - 'N-no Miss, they are quite fine...' the employee began.

'Aw come on,' she interrupted again, twirling her curls. 'We know. Actually, we also know the manager. If you could send him to us, we could even talk about your pay-raise. And we could leave you a handsome tip. Also, we're tourists, so we could spread word about the Handsome and Efficient waiters of Losianish Clubs! You'd be a celebrity!'

'Er-' The Waiter said,

'Advance,' Kane offered, getting wind of her motives and putting ten gold coins on the table. 'Maybe, if we have a good time,' he said, putting up another five, 'we could give you a hundred.' He finished, stacking up five more.

'Thank you, Sir and Miss!' The Waiter exclaimed, grabbing the coins and stuffing them into his pocket. 'The manager will be here, any second.'

He bounced off.

Alexandra sighed, 'These Losianish are twisted,'

'And their Clubs are baleful,' Kane replied.

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Alexandra still making up scenes in her head with Liam, it was silly, but it felt oddly satisfying. And when she looked back upon this time, she realized that those imaginations were the only things that kept her alive in the Paradise Courting Club's toxic air.

'Yes, Sir? Madam? How could I help you?' Asked a bald man with a red moustache, approaching them professionally. He wore another expensive belted cloak, perhaps it was the Losianish men's general clothing. And he had a thin, golden chain around his neck.