Watch and Pray

Day 14

You must keep awake and you must pray. Then you will not want to do something wrong. You really want to do the right thing, but your body is weak.’
Mark 14:38 EASY

Jesus is the most Amazing person that I know. He reveals to us His prayer life and He reveals to us the kingdom of God and the ways in which we can inherit the kingdom of God.
Let's try thinking about the scenario here. Jesus leaves the other disciples and only goes forward with three of the 12 disciples. He asks them to do one thing, perhaps the thing we all struggle with.

Jesus asked His disciples to pray. The bible tells us about Jesus's sorrow as is stated in the King James version. But let's read it from the Easy version. Let's turn to Mark 14:34.

He said to them, ‘I am very sad. I feel as if I could die because I feel so sad. Wait here and stay awake.’
Mark 14:34 EASY

For the first time in this study, we see Jesus revealing something personal about Himself. He says, "I am very sad." All through the book of Mark, Jesus is performing rather strange miracles, and in this portion of Scripture He says, "I feel as if I could die because I feel so sad."

The next thing He says, "Wait here and stay awake."
Whenever you read something like 'Stay awake' in the bible, it means prayer. Jesus wanted his three disciples to pray. But they didn't pray. Let's return to verse 38 and see what Jesus says.

You must keep awake and you must pray. Then you will not want to do something wrong. You really want to do the right thing, but your body is weak.’
Mark 14:38 EASY

There is a specific reason Jesus wanted his disciples to pray. Maybe we don't know why we should pray. When we start to have more revelations about why certain things need to be done, we would do them more passionately.

The bible says, "You must keep awake and you must pray. Then you will not want to do something wrong."
Prayer safeguards us against the power of the flesh. The flesh can overpower us if we do not pray. We pray to overcome the power of the flesh.

The flesh only knows how to sin. If we are ever going to live above the needs of the flesh, we would need to pray more fervently.

The flesh always wants to sin. What is sin? Doing something wrong. That is sin.

“For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.”
  — Romans 6:14 (KJV)

How can sin not have dominion over us? Only if we pray. Jesus says, "Then you will not want to do something wrong."

But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.
I Corinthians 9:27 NKJV

To be able to discipline the body or the flesh, we need much prayer. Paul says, "But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection."

The body can only become subject to the Spirit if the Spirit gains mastery over the flesh. Let's see what Jesus says about the Spirit.

“Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.”
  — Mark 14:38 (KJV)

'The Spirit is truly ready," Jesus says. But for the Spirit to always be ready, He would have to be activated through prayer.

May we gain more wisdom and revelation in the things pertaining to our prayer lives. May we live to see the glory of prayer as Christ enjoyed it here on Earth.

Prayer

In the name of Jesus, heavenly Father we thank you. You are our comfort. You are our pride. You are our master and our very present help in times of need. We look to you Father as our source. Help us obey every instruction that we read in the word of God. Help us obey even the seemingly insignificant commands. Help us to see you in the eyes of the Holy Spirit who is able to reveal to us who you are. This we ask in Jesus name. Amen.