Page 3

Luz woke up in an immediate panic that she might have broken her photo of her mom while asleep with it. She grabbed the cover of the sleeping bag and pulled it to see underneath the cover quickly. The picture had barely made it down to the end of the sleeping bag but was still close enough for Luz to reach and grab. She grabbed the photo and took a hard look at it. The image of her mom didn't break. She sighed out of relief that she hadn't broken the picture. She placed it back down next to her pillow. Oh, crap! I don't know if Eda and King are here yet. I should probably check to make sure they're home! Luz ran downstairs in a hurry to see if Eda and King were home. 

To her relief, Eda and King were passed out on the couch with an empty bag lying down next to them. Luz had assumed that it was the bag of potions they had sold around the town. Luz had continued with her morning, as usual, getting dressed and eating breakfast. Before she left to go onto school, she remembered her interaction with Amity and her interaction with Willow after leaving school, making her nervous about leaving the house. She had no idea if Willow would be walking with her to school as well this morning. She hesitantly opened the door after fidgeting with her thumbs to see Willow sitting in front of a tree, reading on different plants on the Boiling Isles.

After hearing the door being opened from Luz, Willow looked up from her book and stood up, smiling. 

"Hi, Luz! How are you today?" Willow asked politely. Luz was relieved, knowing Willow was there. Maybe today won't be that bad, Luz thought to herself after having multiple small but good things happen in the morning.

"Not going to lie, I'm pretty nervous about going to school..." Luz answered honestly.

"That's okay, I get it. That's why I'm going with you." Willow replied. Luz smiled and felt warmth in the upper half of her body, feeling more comfortable. Willow and Luz continued walking to school side by side silently; halfway before getting there, Willow looked at Luz, prepped to ask something. "To be clear, you are okay with me hanging out with Amity? I won't make you two hang out together. It'd be nice to see you two getting along, but I'm not going to pressure you." Willow asked subtly. Luz began to feel nervous again, and her heart raced by a little out of nervousness.

"I'm okay with that. As long as I'm not forced to be with her, I could care less, don't worry. She hasn't done anything terrible. But, unfortunately, we didn't start on the right foot in class... I accidentally bumped into her yesterday morning, and I guess I wasn't exactly nice to her either." Luz replied, feeling irritated just talking about it. "If she would've done something horrible to me, though, I most likely would've told you." She added.

"Alright, I'm glad that's cleared up a bit; I was confused yesterday," Willow replied. They remained silent for the rest of the walk to school. When they had gotten there together, Willow lightly grabbed Luz's shoulder. "Hey, I won't hang around her while you're around if that helps," Willow tried to reassure Luz. Luz couldn't come up with anything to reply with, so in response, she just looked at Willow and nodded her head. Willow lightly smiled, and they eventually got to school. Again, Amity wasn't spotted outside by either of them. 

They had gotten inside the school and had seen Amity at her locker like the day before. Amity glanced at Willow, looking ready to approach her, but seemed a little more uncomfortable as she glanced at Luz. Then, after glancing at Luz, she turned her back towards them and faced her locker again. 

"Guess she isn't gonna say hi," Luz said, making both her and Willow chuckled as they walked to Willow's locker. 

The bell rang, and students were departing to their classes. Before Willow left Luz, she closed her locker and looked at Luz. 

"I know you have a class with her. I don't know what happened yesterday, but I hope everything goes okay today." Willow told Luz. Luz didn't have anything to say in response, though she gave Willow a soft smile and nodded her head. Willow walked off to her class, waving goodbye to Luz. Luz waved back and walked to her class. Thoughts about getting back to the human realm and having to leave everyone potentially had been swarming in the back of Luz's mind. She was unfocused during most classes, overthinking every other minute. However, she felt this overthinking was out of the blue as she had not usually felt like this before.

She knew she would be finding a way back to the human realm any time soon. Not when or how, but she had a persistent feeling she would. How will I say goodbye to Eda, King, Willow, and Gus... The only real friends I've ever made... Luz thought to herself. This morning was fine... Why do I have to be thinking of all of this right now? Hours passed, and it was time for her to go to the abominations track. She did what she would normally do, set her stuff down at her desk and sit down with paper out, ready to take notes.

Along with the overthinking she had been doing, she got more nervous about Amity interacting with her again. Amity walked into the classroom not too long after Luz and sat her stuff down at her desk, and took a seat. Amity didn't glance once at Luz or even gesture towards her. 

Luz sighed in relief, hoping they wouldn't have to speak too much to each other in class. The teacher continued his lectures about abominations and how to transform them. Luz did somewhat well in the abomination track for the day, but by the time the bell had rung, Luz realized that Amity didn't interact with her. Not a look, no questions, and no taunting. She sighed in relief again but had started becoming more nervous at the thought of how well things had been doing that day. After finishing up the day of school, ready for the weekend to come by, she got through the hallway to see Amity talking with Willow again. Luz didn't feel happy nor sad. She had felt her heart sank, but she couldn't tell from what. She stopped in her tracks and had begun to rub her left hand with her thumb, being nervous about approaching Willow. 

They both look happy right now... I don't want to bother either of them. Maybe I can sneak by them? Which was what Luz was going to do if she didn't realize Willow had noticed her already. Willow waved at Luz with the same kind smile and scruffy hair she always had. Luz nervously waved back at Willow. Luz continued walking towards the two of them, not wanting to talk to Amity. When she had gotten there, Amity took a glance at Willow.

"I'm going to go home," Amity said. "Bye, Willow." She continued. 

"Bye, Amity," Willow responded, waving goodbye to Amity as she walked out of the entrance. "Hey, Luz! How's your day been?" Willow asked enthusiastically. Luz took a moment to respond, trying to find a way to explain her moods throughout the day. 

"My day wasn't bad, but my moods today are... pretty confusing. So I think I'm going to go somewhere to spend some time alone and think." Luz answered. Willow nodded her head and reassured Luz.

"I hope you feel better. Go take care of yourself." Luz felt like she never deserved how kind Willow was to her. She never would've met someone as nice as this in the human realm. Or at least, where she lived, she could've not found anyone nicer besides her mother. Luz waved goodbye to Willow and started walking outside the entrance of the school as the school day slowly ended. 

I don't think I need to tell Eda I'm heading out somewhere... Luz thought to herself. She had walked down to The Knee, the coldest region of the Boiling Isles. She found the forest there calming, especially around the evening or nighttime when she could cast light glyphs just blankly to stare at. 

As she usually did to clear her mind, she found a clear space in the forest and sat down in front of a tree. She cast multiple light glyphs to fill the air surrounding her. It cleared her mind, and she felt at ease when looking at the lights. Evening time had eventually come by, and she spotted the slowly revealing moon amidst the lights she cast. She could start to feel herself get tired and almost fall asleep. I should probably get back to the owl house... She thought to herself, she had gotten up and prepared herself to walk home. Before she almost walked out of the forest, she noticed a figure in the distance of the trees that seemed familiar but was hard to pick out. She saw the figure try to hurry but was curious. 

"Hey, wait!" Luz yelled at the figure. The figure hesitantly stopped in its tracks, allowing Luz to walk towards it. When Luz had reached out to the figure, she had been confused when seeing its face.