2. Izuku (POV): Fake Smiles and Stupid Lies

Wait... he wants to know what I want to do? Why? He's supposed to be my future husband, making demands of me and making all my choices for me. At least, that's what father and mother's relationship has taught me. This is... a nice change of pace. I sighed and let out a breath. "Well, we could go to my secret grove that father doesn't know about, or the center of the hedge maze, or I could take you up to the roof." I rattled off a few options of my hiding places to him.

I had a lot of places that I liked to go to avoid my family and my life. I hated having to pretend to be a girl, but if word got out that I was a boy, then all Hell would break loose because not only have the citizens been lied to for years, but the heir to the throne was a quirkless prince, so he couldn't marry a powerful quirk user because they usually were also male and gay marriage was banned. At least, legally. But gay marriage is what my father wants with me and this handsome snacc of a boy. Wait, what am I thinking!? I can't like this guy! I'm a guy! He's a guy! I can't... but I'm supposed to, but not supposed to. UGH! I hate this! I shook my thoughts away and looked back at the son of the general.

"Milady?" Shoto's voice cut through my thoughts.

"Y-yes, sir?"

"The hedge maze sounds interesting, is that alright with you?"

I nodded and slightly bowed like I had been taught and started to lead him to the maze in the garden. We got there and I went through the entrance, going fast and trying to lose Shoto in the maze so I could get a moment to myself to readjust my voice. It was dropping again and I wouldn't be able to keep up my female voice for much longer. Plus, these heels were really uncomfortable and I just wanted a moment to myself.

After a little bit of trying, I finally lost him. Since I'd grown up here, I knew any way around the maze from any point, so I found where I was in my head and followed my mental map to the center.

In the middle of the maze was a little fresh water fountain, a bench and a small gazebo meant for afternoon tea time and other feminine parties like baby showers. I sat on the bench and let out a breath, my body pushing against my corset painfully. I wasn't made to wear a corset. I wasn't made to be a girl! Why can't I just be who I am!? I started crying as I clawed at the restraining device around my waist. I pulled the knot and I felt instant relief. I could breathe again!

I kicked off my shoes and started muttering about my whole situation. More like a shit-uation... I thought. "I'm supposed to fall in love with another guy, trick him into marrying me and then reveal that I'm not who I promised I was. Gay marriage is illegal here and that's what I'm being forced into because of a decision I had no part of. I just suffer the consequences or face my father's fury. I can't be myself! I don't even know who that is! I'm supposed to be this pretty little princess who is the joy of all her kingdom, but I'm not! I hate having to dress up and put on makeup! I hate having to change my voice and my personality to fit someone else's role! Gah!" I was pacing around the small space, my corset undone and my shoes placed on the bench. I probably looked like a mess, muttering to myself and clawing at my hair, smearing my makeup in the process. I was lost in my own head and just spouting off like I normally do. I forgot the whole reason I came here was to show Shoto, but he was nowhere to be seen and that was fine by me! I just needed to... escape.

I ripped the dress slightly as I tried to move around a bit more than I should've. Whatever. Uraraka will help me fix it. I hoisted myself up onto the top of the gazebo and just sat there on the roof, taking in the maze and the gardens. The air smelled like freshly baked bread and flowers as the warm spring winds blew my hair out of my face. Scanning over the maze, I didn't see Shoto at all. Maybe he's on the other side? I turned around and looked for him, but couldn't see him. He might be in a blind spot. It's alright. Wander around a bit, future prince. Get your bearings.