“Like…” Arlo puffed out his cheeks. “She wears makeup and you wear old Halloween costumes.”
I gasped. This was both the meanest and sweetest thing anyone had ever said to me. I wanted to giggle, I wanted to cry. 

Arlo continued. 
“She’s the center of her own universe and in yours, there are many suns.”
I wasn’t sure I followed. 
“Meaning?”
“Meaning you care.”
His eyes held mine and drew me in. I was confused. Could it be that he liked me back? Would it be wrong to kiss him? Yeah, plenty.

I looked away first. 
“Sienna is loyal and whip-smart. She was there for me when my parents’ marriage crumbled. The tension at home and the constant fighting... I ended up spending more time at her house than in my own room. She might come across as flaky and superficial but Sienna’s not an airhead.”

Arlo seemed unconvinced.
“I’ll take your word on that.”
“Good. And while you’re listening, I’ve got something else to say. You should have come to the vigil.”
His chin jutted out defiantly.
“Do you always do what you should?”

I bit my lip. He had a point. Sitting in the dark with the boy I was supposed to stay away from, I was in no position to judge.

Arlo flexed his knuckles. The contact with Taylor’s eye socket had left a reddish bruise on the back of his right hand.
“Tell me something, Zoe, do you think I did this to her?”
I opened my mouth but before I could answer, he put up a finger.
“Be honest.”

That I could do.
“I wouldn’t be here if I did.”
He seemed relieved but I wasn’t done.
“I think you were at the cabin with her. Why is really none of my business.” That was dumb of me. There was only one reason couples went up there. “That’s how you knew where to find her.”

He smiled into his palm.
“Sienna and I? Alone in the woods? You’ve got some imagination.”
“She’s hot. You asked me if she was seeing someone. It’s not rocket science.”
“I asked you who she was seeing because of the video.”
I wasn’t sure I heard him correctly.
“Video? What video?”

Arlo got up and looked around. Nothing stirred. He knelt on the ground in front of me. Our eyes were at the same level. His lips were within reach.
“You must promise not to tell.”
He could have asked anything of me and I would have gone along.
“Zoe?”

Not trusting my voice, I blinked in agreement.
His words came in quick bursts.
“The Bigfoot Museum’s got motion activated cameras in the woods. I’ve been watching the recordings.”
“Yeah, you mentioned your job. You're combing through the footage looking for Bigfoot.”
“Only I saw something else.”

I felt a mix of excitement and apprehension well up inside me.
“What? What did you see?”
“Sienna and some guy at the cabin.”
“No way!” I shrieked.
“Shhht.” He pressed a finger to his lips.
“Sorry, I just… Was it Taylor?”
“I don’t think so. It was… someone older.”

I didn’t like the shifty look on his face.
“Who?” I pressed.
“I don’t know,” Arlo shrugged evasively. “I didn’t recognize him. He had his back to the camera.”
I didn’t buy it. He knew more than he was letting on.
“Show me. I know everyone in Bruler. If he’s local, I’ll give you a name.”

Arlo got up with a grunt and sat down next to me. He found a thread hanging from the hem of his T-shirt and began tugging at it, his head bent over his lap. 
I held my breath waiting for him to answer but he said nothing more.
“Arlo, please.”
He looked up. 
“I can’t.”
“Why?”
“I deleted the video.”

I couldn’t believe my ears.
“You did what?”
“This was before the attack. I was looking for Bigfoot. How was I supposed to know that the few frames of Sienna pawing at some dude would be important?”

This was incredible. The monster caught on camera. And just like that -  set free. Maybe that guy was not the one who attacked her but now we’ll never know for sure.
“What did the sheriff say?” I asked
Arlo studied the shadows in the front yard. He was evading my question.
I gasped.
“Wait, you didn’t tell him?!”
“What for? He wouldn’t believe me.” Arlo shot me a sideways glance and added bitterly, “Even you don’t.”
I couldn’t deny that I didn't buy his story. He saw someone with Sienna. That much I felt was true. But he knew who the man was.

The silence that settled between us was different. It was loaded and uncomfortable, and I was quick to break it.
“Maybe they went back another night.”
“What do you think I’ve been doing all day, nose to the screen? Staring at blurry images, hoping to spot them again.”
“And?”
“Nothing. The museum’s got 16 cameras up in the woods and weeks worth of footage.”

I did the math. 
“It’s gonna take forever.”
“I know.” 
He seemed defeated. Tired and all alone. I felt the urge to comfort him but didn’t know how to. I regretted not saying that I believed him but now it was too late for a little white lie

So I reached up and ran my fingertips along the bruise on his lip.
Arlo flinched. Without thinking I leaned in to kiss him.
He pulled away, a confused look on his face.
“Woah, what are you doing?”

I opened my mouth but no words came.
Making a fool of myself? Falling in love?
Arlo shook his head like I had let him down.
“Maybe I was wrong about you after all.” 
“Arlo, wait—“ I began.
He got up and dusted off his shorts. 
“Goodnight, Zoe.”

I buried my face in my palms, willing him to stay, so I could explain.
The screech of the screen door closing behind him told me I was on my own.