Chapter 14

A makeshift memorial of flowers and stuffed animals had sprung up under the flag post in front of the school overnight. The plastic wrappings of the gas station bouquets fluttered in the wind. I slowed down.

Get-well cards and rudimentary drawings of hearts addressed to Sienna. Words of love and wishes for a speedy recovery. The display of solidarity was touching. Bruler was rooting for her.

Sienna would be thrilled to know that she was getting a shrine. But would she live to roll her eyes at it?

My fingers began tracing my clavicles. I should leave her something too. Something meaningful, something that would signify how much I—

No, I had left more than enough of myself in the woods yesterday.

The group of seniors walking by elbowed each other. I didn't catch what was said but the hooked eyebrows weren't lost on me. I couldn't tell whether it was me or the flowers they found entertaining but I blushed all the same.

A couple of bikes wheezed by, then the geek squad crawled past, armed with chess manuals and concerned looks. I noted the whispers and the sideway nods.

There could be no doubt. All eyes were on me.

That had never happened before. Unlike Sienna, I have always been invisible. From kindergarten to middle school to the hallowed halls of Bruler High. Just another girl who was neither pretty enough nor special enough to stand out.

Of course, I liked to fantasize about what it would be like to be noticed for once.

Who hasn't dreamed of turning heads and commanding attention? I expected it would feel like Christmas morning but now that it was finally happening, I resented it with the fire of a thousand suns.

Cody was on the school steps, surrounded by a small crowd. I could only see the top of his head bobbing over the shoulders of his spectators but his voice betrayed how much he enjoyed his 15 minutes of fame.

Speaking in a breathless manner, Cody was recounting how he pedaled to town for help, making it sound like a scene from The Hunger Games. When he spotted me, he waved at me to join.

"Hey, Zoe! Come tell them about yesterday!"

His circle of fans parted to let me in. I pulled the visor of my hat lower and hurried past.

I didn't blame Cody for wanting to make the most of his popularity while it lasted. I, however, would have rather gotten quartered than talk about what it was like finding Sienna.

The shock, the fear, the helplessness - I wanted to forget yesterday, not relive it.

I noticed that Marisol peeled away from the group and followed me inside the building.

"Zoe?"

I gave her the cold shoulder but she was undeterred.

"Can't believe this is actually happening," she said to my back. "My parents are freaking out."

I picked up my pace but she stayed on my heels.

"One of my brothers had to walk me to school."

I stopped and went for my most glacial look which until now I had only tried on my mom.

"I don't want to be late for class, Marisol."

"Neither do I. Just a quick question."

The look didn't work.

"Is it true about the message?" she asked.

"What message?"

"The one carved into Sienna's forehead." "AE?" She drew in the air between us for greater effect and repeated. "AE?"

What?!

"As in American Eagle?" I blurted out.

"As in Arlo Eastman", she hissed conspiratorially. "Apparently he etched his initials into her skin."

I couldn't believe my ears. Who would start such a stupid rumor and why?

"Who told you this?"

"It doesn't matter. Is it true?"

I held her gaze, my eyes unblinkingly feline.

"Frankly, I've never heard anything dumber."

"But—"

I brushed past her, fists clenched.

I wished that I had handled that better but I realized that it didn't matter what I said. Denying the rumor wouldn't make the slightest difference. With emotions running high, people would believe whatever they chose to.

I made it to Mr. Dixon's classroom on autopilot.

Once at my desk, I took off the hat and let my hair hang loosely around my face. I could peek through when I chose to, like through a pair of parting curtains, but most importantly - I could hide.

I focused on my pen and notebook as if I was seeing them for the first time. Green ink, lined paper. I studied Mr. Dixon's shoes. Sneakers, good arch support. His navy shirt had creases on the back from the way it had been folded. He was bouncing restlessly on his heels.

This morning Mr. Dixon appeared unusually flustered but I didn't hold it against him. He must be feeling bad for taking Sienna off the lead in the school play. I bet that had he known that this would happen, he would have been more lenient towards her. So what if she didn't know her lines? This was high school, not Broadway.

Mr. Dixon sat behind his desk and opened a textbook. His eyes darted towards Sienna's empty chair. He spoke of Shakespeare's sonnets. I wrote AE over and over in the margin of the page.

The speaker above the whiteboard crackled and I lowered my pen. At first, there was nothing but labored breathing, then the Principal's voice made it through the static.

"Good morning. It is with a heavy heart that I address you today. One of our own has become a victim of a despicable crime. Sienna Gershwin, a junior loved and admired by all here at Bruler High, was viciously attacked and left for dead in the woods above Bruler. Luckily, she is a fighter and I have no doubt that soon she will be back with us. While Sienna is recovering, we will rally behind her and show her and her family our love and support. A vigil at 6 p.m. tomorrow..."

I zoned out. A vigil? The media would love that. I wondered who came up with the idea. At least he wasn't calling an assembly. A vigil was somehow more dignified than crowding inside the gym to listen to him ponder about the sad state of the world we were living in.

Principal DeHan signed off with a mournful sigh that sounded fake.

Fingertips pressed contemplatively as if in prayer, Mr. Dixon left the awkward pause after the announcement linger. I shifted in my seat, puffing against the hair hanging in front of my face.

I couldn't stop thinking about what Marisol had asked me. Who was spreading these lies and why were they connecting the attack on Sienna to Arlo?

I hadn't told anyone but the sheriff that Arlo was the one who suggested we look at the cabin and I was pretty sure Victor hadn't either.

Was it as simple as distrust of the newcomer and as ugly as prejudice against the color of his skin? Or was there more to the rumors?

When Mr. Dixon finally resumed his lesson, Shakespeare's way with words was the last thing on my mind.

I took out my phone and started swiping. I half-expected Mr. Dixon to confiscate it; he was notoriously strict about the use of electronic devices in class, but he turned a blind eye. Apparently finding Sienna had earned me some wiggle room.

I scrolled down through the most recent social media posts penned by Bruler High students. There were lots of emojis, little information of value. I also checked the different group chats that I was part of. No news there either, only more rumors, most of which pointed to Arlo.

Nothing tangible but all that innuendo made me wonder.

Because, as my mom loved to say, where there's smoke, there's fire.

Are you thrilled and entertained? Sure hope so:-)))

Please leave a comment or vote if you like my writing. Thank you!