Chapter 5

"Wow, smooth," Benny says to Ethan once the girls leave

"Wow, smooth," Benny says to Ethan once the girls leave. "Mad hot babes here and you have to go and weird them out. Well done. I'm impressed," he adds sarcastically.

"Like you can talk," Ethan argues. "And I'm telling you I just saw something."

"Kay..."

"She's not normal. Neither of them are."

"Now hey, wait a second, Malia is perfectly normal."

"She spent eight years in the woods..."

"Your point?"

"Something's not right about them and I'm gonna find out what's going on."

"Okay, undercover brothers on a mission. I like it. But aren't we forgetting something?" Benny says, beginning to walk out the door with Ethan.

"Yeah, what are you forgetting?" Jane walks into their line of sight and asks.

───※ ·❆· ※───

"Thanks grandma," Benny says, opening the door and letting his grandmother in.

"You're a life saver," Ethan adds

"Anytime dear," Evelyn, Benny's grandmother, responds walking into the kitchen.

"She smells funny," Jane complains to Ethan.

"No she doesn't. She smells nice like flowers and... moth balls," Ethan replies.

"Alright, now, if the pizza isn't here in twenty-six minutes, do not pay a dime." Benny tells his grandma.

"Okay," Ethan says, putting on his coat, "We will be right back. I promise."

"I hate being eight." Jane complains once more.

───※ ·❆· ※───

The duo walk along the sidewalk, crickets chirping, when Benny drops his gear that he brought.

"What is all that stuff?" Ethan asks incredulously.

"Digi-cam with night vision infrared," Benny states, "You can't possibly expect to investigate the supernatural realm without proper equipment."

"Fine, just keep it on the down low. They already think I'm a perv."

"You said her reflection wasn't all there, right?"

"Yeah."

"Here's a thought, what if this is some publicity stunt thing for that stupid Dusk movie?" Benny stops walking. "If this was a punk, I knew it all along!" he twirls around pointing his finger at nothing.

"Benny, shhh." A dog barks somewhere in the distance. "C'mon, I think they were headed towards downtown."

───※ ·❆· ※───