Chapter 2

After a debate about whether or not Benny likes Malia and them explaining to Malia the signs someone likes you, they get up from the table to leave the cafeteria

After a debate about whether or not Benny likes Malia and them explaining to Malia the signs someone likes you, they get up from the table to leave the cafeteria. However Malia pulls Sarah to the side to talk to her privately as Erica just continues to walk away.

"I can't hear your heartbeat." Malia says forgetting Sarah doesn't know what she is.

"I'm sorry hear my-"

"And you reek of anxiety. It's distracting.

"reek of-? Mal, what are you talking about?"

"What are you?"

"Human."

"No you're not. What are you?"

"A vampire." Sarah hesitantly admits, relieved that she has at least one friend she can confide in.

"Okay."

"I tell you I'm a vampire and your only response is "okay"? Speaking of which, how did you know?"

"I told you, your heart beat. Human's have a heartbeat, you don't."

"Humans?"

"Yeah, you know, like Erica." Malia tries to explain.

"Wait-What are you that you can hear heartbeats?"

"...I'm a werecoyote." Malia reveals after a moment of silence, weighing the pros and cons of telling Sarah. "Like a werewolf but with a coyote and stronger." Malia further explains at Sarah's confused look.

"That doesn't explain the 'smelling my anxiety' part." Sarah tells her confused

"Oh I can smell chemosignals but I don't make a habit of it. Yours was just really strong."

"Huh, that's kinda weird."

"Says the baby vampire to the werecoyote"

"Touché. Although technically I'm not fully a vampire."

"Why not?" 

"I'm a fledgling, because I refuse to drink human blood. 

"who turned you?"

"Jesse turned me."

"I knew there was something wrong with those drama kids! I never liked Jesse. Something tells me the feeling is mutual."

"It is."

"What happens if you don't drink human blood?"

"My mortal body dies."

"That sucks and animal blood doesn't count?"

Sarah shakes her head, "I wish."

"Well, whatever I can do to stop you from dying, I will"

"Thank you."

"No, thank you. You were my first friend I made here. Everyone else thinks I'm weird because I lived in the wild for eight years."