40

chapter forty

       MUCH TO AMORA'S DISMAY, they did not "get outta there

       MUCH TO AMORA'S DISMAY, they did not "get outta there." With the Ewoks' approval of Threepio and Leia, they insisted that they stay the night, but it did take some convincing to let the other five stay as well, especially Amora and Han.

       It turns out that even though the Ewoks initially acted out of fear, that quickly turned into genuine respect for their "leader's wishes." Who knew that Threepio would be the one to save their lives? The Ewoks no longer tried to stab the rebels with every move they made (definitely an improvement) and followed Threepio's instructions carefully.

       It was almost odd. When they weren't trying to impale them and cook them for dinner, they were almost... bearable to be around. Just a loyal community that was excited to have guests over for once. Willing to fight anyone they saw, but only because of their protection for each other. They were like the rebellion, in a way. After all, Amora did the exact same thing every day.

       And after seeing the way they behaved with their violent nature, it got Amora thinking. Would they be willing to help the rebels tomorrow? Assuming they could get on their good side tonight, it was worth a shot, right? She thought so. Maybe she could ask Threepio to translate her requests to the village chief later.

       While the droid found himself preoccupied at the moment as he figured out accommodations with the Ewok chief for the night, Amora sighed and removed the hot, green poncho that had been around her shoulders since morning. She draped it over a wooden railing and leaned on it, gazing outwards to the shadow-drenched tree branches that shook their leaves with a subtle breeze. It was a relief to feel relaxed even for a moment, which was something she had grown more accustomed to through the years. The feeling of calmness used to make her feel anxious as though there was a threat lingering while she let her guard down. Those paranoid thoughts still plagued her often, but not enough to scare her right now.

       "Is that my jacket?"

       "Huh?" Amora raised her eyebrows, looking next to her to see Luke.

       She hadn't really had time to actually stop and look at him in a while. He wore a soft grin on his face, hiding the stress lines that had grown over the years. His eyes were still a fresh shade of sky blue and glinted with a boyish charm that he never grew out of. He was calm as the breeze gently brushed through his sandy hair. It was nice to see Luke looking relaxed, even if only for a moment like her. It seemed like neither of them had a chance to breathe in recent times at all. Maybe not even since Dagobah. She liked seeing him when he was happy.

       But staring at him made her forget about the question he had asked. Amora blinked a few times before glancing down at the jacket she had been wearing underneath the discarded poncho. It was his. It just felt too natural on her for her to think anything of it.