30

chapter thirty

       AMORA WAS NO STRANGER to fear

       AMORA WAS NO STRANGER to fear. The everlasting anxiety gnawing at her insides, infecting her brain with baseless claims of paranoia that did more harm than good. It was almost more comforting to be afraid than think she was safe. At least when she was afraid, she wasn't delusional.

       However, she was a stranger to the complete and utter loneliness that her escape entailed.

       Now, that wasn't always true. Amora, for years and years before, had taught herself to accept an isolated life of survival over pleasure. It was Kavi who preached the concept, wanting her to be prepared for the worst even when he was alive. He taught her to think realistically instead of basking in hope-filled daydreams that would only get her killed. The only person you can trust is yourself. That's all she knew. It was out of love, of course, but that didn't make it any less harmful.

       But that felt so long ago. She'd now grown too comfortable with the idea of friendship and trust and love, everything Kavi told her was unsafe. So naturally, here she was paying the consequences for her error, her emotional vulnerability fogging the strong memories of isolation that kept her alive. It made her more afraid than she already was. But that fear only made her more determined to leave this planet.

       And really, it didn't matter how scared she was in this uncertainty. If that was the price to pay for love, then so be it.

       Her stomach was churning and her palms were sweaty. Every turn she took was a mystery and a risk. Amora didn't know the layout of the city. She hadn't recognized any of the halls she'd passed. Finding the Falcon would be near impossible at this point, let alone finding her own ship. There had to be a better plan than running around blindly, but she had no leads. As far as plans went, all she knew was to stay out of sight from the Empire and find a way out, by herself. There was nothing she could do about her other friends in trouble. She could worry about that later. This was a time when she needed to choose herself.

       Unfortunately, the plan went astray fast when she wasn't being careful enough. Amora, blinded by her hurry to leave, rounded a corner too quickly and suddenly found herself face to face with four patrolling stormtroopers. Her eyes widened and her breath hitched in her throat.

       "Hey!" one of the front troopers shrieked in surprise. "You shouldn't be-"

       In a mad panic, Amora immediately pointed her blaster and fired two shots, quickly taking down the two troopers in front. But before she could take aim at the second two, they had already reacted, taking their own shots that she jumped out of the way to avoid.