14

It's been a week since I came here, and I am so sore from working out every day. Alex said today would be a rest day though, so I can just take it easy, right?

Wrong. There's a knock on my door and I stand up to open it. My legs are stiff, but I manage to get to the door. "Hello." I say to April. 

She's standing there with a smile. "The master would like to see you in about thirty minutes." She looks at what I'm wearing. "You may want to change into something more appropriate." April walks into the bedroom and shuts the door behind her. "There will be a guest, so it'd be good to look well presented."

I let her help me pick out a dress, and she puts my hair half up into a pretty hair-do that I could never pull off on my own. We walk out of the room and she walks me to his office.

"Lelia Viticello is here, sir." She bows at her waist, and I bow my head.

Alex's father stands, and walks to the door. "Lelia, thank you for coming. I've got some exciting news." He guides me to a chair then sits down at his desk. "Your father has dropped fighting for you, since Alex, Gabe, and Greg have all given testimony that he was abusing you."

I feel a large weight lift off of my shoulders. "You're sure?" He nods with a smile on his face. I can't help but smile. "Thank you, sir. I never expected that he'd just give up like that. He was always so possessive."

"Yes, well he risked losing his other children if he fought too much." I feel myself breathing easier. "Along with this good news, I have even more good news. Your grandfather has agreed to meet you. He understands that you've been left by your father in my care, but he also wants to see you before making the decision to take you in."

My heart speeds up. My grandfather was always a happy man, until my mother died. At her funeral, he and my father had an argument that made him never come to see us again. I never knew what the argument was about. I just knew that after that, my father became worse towards me.

Alex's father stands up and goes over to his bar. He only pours a little bit. "He'll be here any minute. I'm glad April helped you dress up a bit."

My eyes widen. He's going to come this quickly? I figured it'd take him a month to come see me. I mean, he pretty much forgot about me when he stopped coming to see me. He never sent a birthday present, or a letter.

The door opens slowly, and April steps in. "Cesare Vittori has arrived." Behind her appears a gentleman wearing a black suit. His hair is slicked back, and has a salt and pepper look to it, along with a short beard. 

His eyes fall on me first, and I see them become watery. "Isabella." He says it so softly, and I feel a pull at my heart. My mother's name was Isabella.

I stand and walk over to him. I open my arms to hug him, and he pulls me to him. 

We stand there for a few moments and he sighs. "You look so much like your mother." He says quietly into my ear,

"I've never been told that before." My heart aches and I squeeze him tighter.

He pulls away first, but only to hold me at arms length. "Let me get a good look at you." He smiles. "I missed you, dear." He looks so happy.

I want to be happy, but I also feel hurt. If he missed me so much, why did he never visit, or write, or even call? "Where did you go?" I ask, my face scrunched up in thought.

My grandfather frowns, and lets me go. "When your mother passed, I asked if he'd let me raise you, but he refused. He told me if I even so much as made him think that I was in contact with you, he'd kill you. The arrogant bastard." He looks up at me, "But you got away from him." He wraps his arms around me again. "I'm so proud of you."

I don't know how to feel right now. My father kept my grandfather from visiting by threatening to kill me? Why would he keep my grandfather away from me?

"I won't make the same mistake again. I never should have let that man marry your mother. I should have just raised her to take over the family.” He turns to Alex's dad. "Have her things sent to my estate, and have her school records be sent there too. I will take charge of my granddaughter today."

Alex's dad smiles. "Of course, anything for you." He gives an order to someone outside the door, and then my grandfather turns to me.

He looks sad "I'm so sorry that I had no power before, but I will make sure I make up for leaving you with that devil. I will give you the best things this world can give you. Please, let me try to make up for all of the years I've missed?" His plea is desperate, and I hear my heart crying out to him. For once in my life, I have family. I have someone who wants to love and care for me, and it makes me happy. I know that he probably had no choice but to leave me to my father, because my father is too strong. Now, I'm just happy that I can be free.

I nod at him, and soon, he's discussing things with Alex's dad. I'm dismissed from the room, and I go out to the garden. 

My excitement and happiness pours out of me as a content sigh, and I do a little spin. "What made you so happy?" I turn quickly to see Alex. He's leaning against a tree in a shirt, and a pair of jeans. He's got a half quirked smile, and is watching me with interest,

"My grandfather is going to take me in." I smile at him, and he pushes off of the tree. "He was so happy to see me, he even said I look like my mother."

Alex comes to stand in front of me. "So you'll be going back to Italy then?" He asks, his smile not as happy, but still there.

"Oh." I forgot he lives in Italy. "I guess I will. I hadn't thought of that, but he does live in Italy." Alex stares at me for a moment, and I stare back. "I'm glad I met you." I say with a small smile.

He puffs out his chest. "I'm glad you met me too." He laughs when I do, and we stand there in silence for a moment. "Well, don't slack off on getting stronger, you still need to be able to protect yourself. I won't be around to keep you safe anymore." His voice becomes a bit thick, but he keeps a smile on his face.

"I will." I say, still maintaining a small smile. He looks like he wants to say something, but he's holding back. The silence holds us still, and I feel a pull and push of emotions. I do like Alex, but we both know that we won't ever be together, so I should just let it go. Part of me hates that idea, but the other part knows I can't do anything to change it. "You should come visit sometime. I'll be sure to make time to see you." 

Alex's smile deepens. "I might. I've got to take over for my dad first." I nod.

April steps outside and smiles at me. "The master has asked your grandfather to stay for dinner, and he has accepted." She says. "Your grandfather has requested that you show him around in the time being."

"Of course." I say back, then I turn to Alex. "I guess I'll see you at dinner." I walk away, and go to meet up with my grandfather, leaving Alex alone in the garden.