10

Gabe pulls into a long driveway that leads up to a large house. It's smaller than my father's estate, but I've always believed that my father's house is a manifestation of his ego. When the car comes to a stop, we're parked near the door. Gabe gets out and hands the keys to someone, then walks over to Alex's door and opens it for him. I open my door and step out, and Gabe offers me a hand. I take it, but with a curious glance. Why is he acting like a servant?

Alex limps up to the door, and a man opens the door for him. Alex nods at him, and the man bows. Um, okay. I nod at the man, and he nods back at me. I continue to follow after Alex. We come to a large wooden door, and Alex stops in front of it. "Wait out here for a moment, please."

"Alright." I say timidly. 

He opens the door and steps in, then he shuts it behind him. I can't hear a word that's being said. I can only sit here and patiently wait. Gabe isn't even here. I figured he'd be going in to talk to their dad. I take a deep breath, and slowly let it out. I try to calm myself down. It isn't like I've known Alex long. Letting him go shouldn't be so hard. So why does my chest tighten at the thought of it? 

After a few minutes, Alex opens the door for me, and gestures for me to come in. I bow my head before I even see his dad. "I apologize for causing so much trouble. I never meant for any of this to happen." I take another deep breath, "Please forgive Alex. This was by no means his fault." I put my hand to my chest and keep my head bowed.

Alex's father stands up and leaves from behind his desk. I keep my eyes to the floor, hoping he is a forgiving man. "Well, since you put it that way, I won't go too hard on him, but I would still like to hear what happened from you, to make sure your stories match up, of course." I look up and he is staring at me, expressionless. He's well dressed, and groomed. He looks just like Alex. If Alex grew a beard, he'd probably be a spitting image of his dad.

I nod, and he motions for me to take a seat. Alex sits on a different couch, and his father on one separate from both of us. I tell his dad everything, and he listens without interrupting. I even tell him about Alex getting up and fending off my attackers. I leave out the part about me overhearing Alex and Greg's conversation though.

When I finish with Gabe picking us up, his father clears his throat. "Well, that is a very tense situation. It's no wonder my son felt compelled to help you. I'm glad you've come out nearly unscathed." He looks at Alex. "As for you, I'd expect more from you. To allow them to capture you, you need to practice more."

He's harsh on him, but I can tell it's different from my father. Alex doesn't say anything, and just bows his head.

"Well, I do have to say that I knew your father was insane. I just never thought he'd turn to beating his only daughter, and roughing up my son to the point he can't walk right. I'll have to have a discussion with him. Hopefully I can get him to leave you in my care until you graduate. I'll go ahead and file for your emancipation from his care, but as for right now, he is still your legal guardian. If he demands you back, there's not much I can legally do." His dad seems a little saddened by those words. "But in the world of the Mafia, legality tends to be ignored." He looks to Alex. "Go get your Uncle after you take her to a room." His eyes turn to me, a small smile on his face. "Go ahead and clean yourself up. I'll have one of the girls bring you up some clothes, and food. You're probably starving."

Alex stands, and I follow his lead. I bow to his dad, and walk out behind Alex. He slows down to walk beside me. "I'm glad that went well." His eyes are staring straight forward. "Well, there is still the matter of that man, but we'll handle him." 

I sigh. "You've done more than enough for me. I can't express how thankful I am." My voice gets quieter, if possible. "Please, if you ever need my help, or if I can do anything for you in the future, don't hesitate to ask me. I will gladly help. I know that's not a lot coming from a girl who has no family, but I will do everything in my power to help." My head stays forward, and I feel a lump in my throat. Hopefully this room isn't too far away. I don't think I can hold back my tears for much longer. Now that I've cried, my eyes don't seem to want to stop.

We stop at a door and Alex leaves once I go in. He didn't respond to my promise, but I know he heard me. 

It's a bedroom, with a twin bed, and a couple of dressers. I throw myself onto the bed, and the tears come out in a stream. After a while, my sobs turn into heavy breathing, and then thoughtful sorrow. I'm all cried out. It's been about twenty minutes since Alex left me here, and I haven't moved since. There's a soft knock on the door, and I slowly pull myself to get up and open it.

At the door is a tanned girl in a maid's dress. One look at my face and she guides me inside before shutting the door. "I had heard the young master had brought home a girl. I had no idea she'd be so upset." She says, guiding me over to the bed. "You should take a shower and rinse off all the dirt and sadness." She leads me to a door attached to the room, and starts the shower. She pulls out a towel, and some soap. "Take a shower, then you come out and we can talk about whatever is bothering you."

She leaves the bathroom, and I strip down to get in. When I get out of the bathroom, she's still here, tidying up a spotless room. I step onto the carpet, and she looks at me. She smiles at me. "That looks better, at least you're clean now." Her head turns to a pile of clothes. "Go ahead and change, I'll be back in a moment with some food. I'm April, by the way." She does a little curtsy, then walks out of the room. 

I've never met a maid quite like her. My father has many, but they never really paid me any attention, other than cleaning my clothes, and sometimes my room, if I needed it. I get dressed in the clothes, and they're comfortable. They look sort of like work out clothes though. It's probably just all they had.

April soon knocks on the door again, and I let her in. She's masterfully balancing a tray in one hand, and holding a small table in the other. "Here we go." She comes into the room and sets the table down followed by the food on top of it. "Now, get some food in your stomach. If you're as hungry as the young master, then you'll definitely eat all of this." She whips a chair behind me, and pushes it underneath me. April smiles at me as she stands off to the side. 

I lift up the tray lid and see eggs, bacon, and hot oats with blueberries on top. It smells so good. I eat, and it doesn't take long for me to feel full. The plate is empty, and my stomach is happy. April puts the table and tray outside the door, then comes to pull a chair up to me. "Do you want to talk about what had made you so upset earlier?"

My better mood dips back down, but thankfully I don't feel like crying. "Alex is a good person, and I am just starting to realize that he lives in a world where I can't exist. He's helped me in a way that I could never even dream of paying him back for." I brush a strand of hair behind my ear.

April sits back in her chair. "The young master is definitely a character. He acts very angry a lot, but I think he's just trying to live up to his father's name. He's got a lot of pressure on him." She pauses. "We all know how he is, and we know what is expected of him. I've also seen him today, and even though he has only been home for about an hour, he's very different."

My head pops up almost a little too quickly, so I hide my quick reaction with a nod. "Why do you say he's different?" I try not to sound too curious.

April readjusts in her chair and shrugs. "The only change here is you, so I'm guessing you're the reason." I nod slowly. "And also, the fact that he's checked the door about four times already." She leans forward. "That's while I wasn't here. He could possibly be standing out there right now."

I turn to look at the door, a longing feeling pulling at me. Why am I such an idiot? Stop feeling like this, Lelia. It's pointless. "He's probably just worried since my life has been uprooted." I turn to look back at her and smile. "I don't want to stay cooped up in here. Is there a trail or anything? I figure, I'm dressed for a run anyways."

She stands up, a pleased smile on her face. "Yes, in fact there is. I can take you there, if you would like."

We walk outside, and I decide that I'll use this to distract myself. Working out is supposed to clear your head, so I'll take advantage of that.

"Are you still crying?" She asks, a worried look on her face. 

"No." I say, taking a deep breath. "I think I'm okay now."