Chapter 11

By the time you stopped running, you thought you were going to pass out, your heart was beating that eratically and you'd only stopped when your legs cramped up.

You didn't know which direction to take, but you did know what direction to turn away from.

The velvety darkness and empty air around you made you shiver involuntarily as your stare climbed upwards to rest on the half-moon hanging over your head, barely illuminating whatever was lying underneath.

With your adrenaline wearing off, you started choking on the sobs tearing up your throat as you were feeling completely helpless and alone.

You shouldn't have to be going through this again, yet here you were.

In your haste of running for your life, you'd no idea where you ran off to.

You ran your hand through the front of your damp hair that had clung to your forehead with sweat and rain.

It took all of your willpower in an attempt to calm the raging storm inside as your eyes travelled over the empty playground directly in front of you, that was half surrounded by trees with dying leaves that rustled in the wind.

Hesitantly, you made your way over to the empty bench that stood just few feet away, because you were certain that if you didn't sit down to collect yourself, you'd have a cardiac arrest.

As you approached the bench and scan the park, the sight of the equipment dangling in the wind stirred something in the pit of your stomach, but you sat down anyway.

Why did everything have to look ten times scarier in the dark?

Your headache was really starting to get to you and you couldn't sit here indefinitely, especially with a killer around that wanted to cut you up.

The second you heard a twig snap behind you, your pulse hammered and you were back on your feet, only to see a stray cat passing by.

You trailed it with your glossy eyes and then looked up, now realizing exactly where you were.

It was difficult to see in the darkness of the night, but you were at the very same playground you always used to visit with Hallie after having had a particular rough day.

For the first time tonight, a weak smile broke over your features at the many fond memories creeping back in from months ago that you created with your friend.

The next ten minutes you spent in silence, trying to sort your head out while making absolutely certain no one else was around, which was hard because of your splitting headache.

You were craving some kind of comfort, but no matter how much you wished for it, there was no one around to give it to you.

There was no shoulder to cry on and your gut feeling told you that this night was still far from over.

Hunching over, you looked back at the ground and stared down at your feet.

Breathe in,

Breathe out.

You were going to have to move soon, but you just couldn't stop the visions flashing each time you closed your eyes that were brimming with water that wasn't from the rain.

Chewing on your bottom lip in an attempt to hide its trembling, you brought your hands up to cover your face as you exhaled a wavering breath.