39 1 2

b e a

Even though Hanover High School was quite ghetto and not all that interesting, we had a few things we could take pride in. One, we had a great sports program. I wouldn't know, I'm not an athlete. But based on how many games we won and how many trophies decked the halls, I would say we had something to brag about. Two, our dress code is quite relaxed. I guess that's what happens when most of the school board is run by thirty-year-old women. And three, our cafeteria didn't suck.

The only reason why Cara and I rarely eat there is because it's always overrun by the sophomores. It's like their designated hangout spot. The freshmen take the bleachers, the sophomores have the cafeteria, the juniors have the common hall and the seniors are allowed to leave campus. But besides the population of fifteen-year-olds that occupy the cafeteria, it's not bad. It's always clean, the food is actually appetizing. And there's a bread bar.

Cara and I sat down at the end of the cafeteria. It was one of those days we weren't craving fast food. Besides, they were serving lasagna and we couldn't miss it.

"They better not be paying those lunch ladies minimum wage because damn!" Cara said as she dug her fork into her lunch. "Lord, we thank you for this food. Amen. See Bea? I can be spiritual."

"Sure." I answered and blew on a piece of lasagna on my fork. It smelled amazing. And the breadsticks that it came with were the top tier Olive Garden kind. They put drugs in those breadsticks, I'm telling you.

As we were eating, an uninvited guest showed up and took a seat next to me. Cara and I looked over to see who it was. I nearly choked on my food when Andy nodded at me. Across from us, Cara dropped her fork and raised her eyebrows at him. Her happiness and excitement over the food vanished as quick as half of the world did when Thanos snapped his fingers.

Andy looked over and grinned at Cara. "I thought you said you had no reason to go to the game last week."

Cara shot me a glance. I remained silent and waited for a reply from her. She looked betrayed and sighed. "I didn't have a reason."

"But you were there. I saw you in the bleachers. Don't deny it."

"I wasn't going to de—"

"I saw your eyes brighten when we won."

Cara looked livid. She clenched her jaw and rolled her eyes. I pressed my lips together and slowly reached over to take the plastic knife off her tray. Her piercing gaze switched from Andy to me. I squeaked and pulled my hand back. Andy started to laugh. We both frowned at him.

"Sorry." He chuckled and used his fork to cut through his lasagna. "Don't be so angry, Pearson. I'm just messing with you. Bianca, you were there too. Weren't you sick that day?"

I nodded. "Yeah, but I was feeling better by the end of the day."

"Are you just here to pester us, Mason?" Cara asked Andy, her hand dangerously close to that plastic knife.

Andy remained surprisingly calm. He even looked like he was enjoying this interaction. Like Steve Irwin holding a crocodile. "Are you pestered? Oh, I'm sorry. How do I pacify your wrath, oh merciless goddess? Human sacrifices?"

"Yeah. You can offer yourself up." Cara replied without missing a beat.

"Then I'm all yours." He leaned forward and smirked. Cara, in response, gave him an unamused look. She picked the plastic knife up and smacked his head with the handle. Andy laughed some more.