ONE-SHOT: Roger's Birthday

Roger woke up on July 26th, 1977 as excited as could be. It was his 28th birthday and though he had a very busy day at work with his band, Queen, he knew they would make it a special day for him. 

He walked into work a big smile shown on his face. 

"Morning, Rog," John said. 

"What's got you in such a good mood?" Freddie chuckled. 

"What do you mean what's got me in a good mood?" Roger asked. 

"I don't know, darling, but we need you to take a seat and start working out some of the mixing on the kit for Get Down Make Love," Freddie replied. 

"Fine, fine," Roger agreed. "That's odd?" Roger thought to himself, "Don't they know it's my birthday?" 

~ ~ ~

The entire time at the studio had passed, yet still no one mentioned his birthday. 

"Does anyone want to carpool home?" Brian asked. 

"I suppose I can," Roger replied. 

"I'll ride with John, I suppose then and then we can meet up, at my house, I suppose," Freddie replied. 

As they walked out a couple of Queen fans were anxiously waiting outside of the recording studio. 

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR, ROGERRRRRR. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU."

"Thank you so much," Roger beamed.

Freddie had a stunned look on his face and Roger could tell he felt bad for not remembering. Deaky gave Roger a little smile. And Brian took Roger by the arm into his car. 

"Roger, happy birthday. I'm so sorry I forgot, Rog. You really are my best mate and you deserve a best mate who can remember your birthday," Brian frowned. 

"I don't care, I really had a good, fun day nonetheless," Roger smiled. 

"Well, I'm glad, Rog. Now, what do you say we stop at the store and buy a cake and go celebrate at Fred's house," Brian suggested. 

~ ~ ~

Brian and Roger arrived before Freddie and John, so Brian sat the cake down on the counter and begin finding some candles. 

Freddie and John arrived a couple minutes later. 

John spotted a cake on the counter. "That's funny we bought a birthday cake for Rog, too," he giggled.  

"Oh how fabulous," Freddie replied. 

"I might not have mates that remember my birthday straight away, but when they do remember they sure do make it a fun day," Roger smiled. 

~ ~ ~ 

Happy birthday, Rog. I love you so much and I am beyond happy your music is a part of my life. I don't know what I would do without you and I love you so much! Happy 72nd!!!