25. A Mare's Nest

As the April rains trickled down slowly through the sunshine, Ottaline danced around what once was the library of the old house. The wood floors were now sturdy and with a new frame in the works it was a lot safer to be inside the old house. Above, was a banister that was accessed from the next floor and gave a glimpse down into the library to passersby before leading into a small room that had once been a private office.

The smell of mold and decay was quickly being chased away. It was a lot of work and the twelve little women were thankful for the help they received from their friends. She danced out of the room and into the foyer where Astrid sat with her new doll, while Heloise sat on the stairs reading a book. She curtsied and they applauded.

"That was beautiful, Ottaline," Astrid said.

"And one day this whole place will be filled with dancing!" Ottaline said. "I can't wait till then." She skipped to the front door with Astrid and Heloise following. Ladybird and Beatrice were already sitting out front having lunch while Selene and Wysteria made sketches of the garden.

"I'm thinking about October roses," Wysteria said. "And maybe some camellias by the gate for the late seasons. I think hydrangeas and rhododendrons will suffice for summer and spring. That way the yard will look pretty year round."

"Sounds lovely, Wysteria," Ladybird said.

"And the sign is ready to be painted," Beatrice said. "I think we should wait until we've finished everything before we hang it."

"I haven't thought of a poem for it yet," Heloise said. "I've been very busy with school."

"That's all right, Heloise," Ladybird said. "You should concentrate on your schoolwork."

Heloise looked up at the house and smiled. "You know what, I think the house is happy," she said. "You can almost feel her smiling." Such thoughts brought back memories of Fairchild Place and it made her heart glad that she could make a house happy again.

"I wish my daddy could see all we have done," Ottaline said. "He would be so proud. He was so worried about Rovy and I when he died. I sometimes think he's alive somewhere worrying still and we have no way to reach him."

"The dead all rest in peace, Ottaline," Selene said.

Ottaline smiled but it wasn't a strong one. She thought before it would be easy to continue with life but the sudden ache for her father took over her heart.

/

Jessop put down his bags in cousin's bedroom and stretched. He fell back on the bed and looked up at the ceiling exhausted from the travel. He heard Idris walking in the hall then he appeared in the doorway. He didn't think his brother's new mustache became him.

"I suppose we should visit them tomorrow and find out exactly what is going on," Idris said.

"You never stop, do you?" Jessop said from the bed.

"You're a lawyer, you know how it is," Idris said.

Jessop couldn't argue there. "All right," he said. "Then we'd better both be getting sleep if we wish to be able to function."

Idris agreed and went off to the spare room. Not able to find sleep he decided to unpack his things. As night encroached so did the storm and going to the front of the house he looked out the window at the swaying oak tree that lived in his uncle's yard. In the storm it flashed silvery as it waved its weighted branches.

/

Across town, up the road to Brickyard at Custardville and on the corner of Fifth and First Streets another man watched the storm. The black shadows of the rain running down the glass striped his face as the pale moon emphasized his stormy gray eyes. As he watched the rain spray across the street from the fortitude of his Queen Anne home something caught his eye. The shadowy figure moved slowly up the street and for the life of him he couldn't imagine what fool would be out in this weather this time of night. He watched the man stagger then fall to the ground then struggle to get up.