14. Smarted

Sumner glanced at his pocket watch as he trotted through Angel Veil on business. It was the town where everything happened which was why he could not understand why his uncle was interested in anything in Brickyard. Brickyard and its neighbor Custardville which straddled two counties depended on Angel Veil. Old Town was more independent but no train stopped there.

Wiping his spectacles he looked at the time then put his watch away and removed his glasses. He still had a little more time before he wanted to be at the school in Custardville to watch that colored schoolmarm's afternoon lessons. He thought to stop to eat and had turned his horse when a lone figure on the dirt road to Brickyard caught his attention.

The old colored man was hunched over and one of his eyes was glazed with a cloud. He lacked hair as well as teeth but Sumner knew one thing and that was that this feeble creature got around. He reminded him of the haunts in the old negro tales, the ones who could fly, that his nanny used to tell him when he wouldn't sleep. This man had to fly, for with his hunched back and withered limbs there was no way he could walk so far and not fall down forever. He had seen him all around town at many different hours. He was as a shadow, or a crow on a bread trail. Sumner spitefully turned his animal leaving the man in the dust.

/

He reached the schoolhouse on schedule and invited himself inside. Miriam and the student acknowledged him with a glance then went back to their lesson. He turned to take a seat when something hit him from behind sending him to his hands and knees. The students laughed as he turned to his four legged, tail wagging attacker.

"Class," Miriam said getting them quiet. She quickly went to the back of the classroom and grabbed Sacha by his collar. "I apologize, Mr. Woodrow, Sacha was only saying hello."

Sumner got up and dusted his sleeves. "Well he should have said it to my face," he said picking up his glasses and notebook.

Miriam took Sacha to the front of the classroom and got on with the lesson as Sumner found himself a seat.

/

After school he watched Miriam at the front of the classroom reminding two siblings to turn in a late assignment at a convenient time as their mother was ill and they had no one else but themselves to take care of her. As the children left Sumner went up to the front of the classroom.

"I apologize again for Sacha," Miriam said. "My Papa says it's good to have a male protector even if he does have four legs."

Sumner looked down at the wolf panting behind the desk. "A wolf in the classroom is hardly acceptable." 

Miriam looked down. She realized no matter what she did she could never do right. "Well—" she stopped herself from apologizing again.

"My hand is being pushed, Miss. Fairchild," Sumner said. "I understand there is a Miss. Martin in Old Town who is a colored teacher. It looks to me like you'll have to consider moving your students there."

"Consider?" Miriam said. "That means there is still a chance."

Sumner raised his brow, making his gray eyes very intimidating. "I think the two of you should consider finding the hours to share the building. Or, I hear Old Town has a nice library; you could go there. Consider your options before you have no place to go at all."

Miriam put her hands to her head, "No," she said. 

Sumner looked at her incredulously. 

She stared at him shocked at her own words. She looked around the classroom but Ottaline and Providence had gone out into the schoolyard with the other children. "I can't do it. You'll have to drive us out. This school is something I can't give up. She turned quasi from him and supported herself on her desk. "If you make me, I'll take you to court, I swear it! You'll have to put fire under us."