NINE

Word Count: 1758

~Avia

Voices and rushed footsteps outside my room forced me to rise early this morning.

For a moment, I'm confused, as I dress quickly and stride downstairs, avoiding frantic staff who hardly have time to murmur vacant apologies at me as they pass. The main foyer downstairs is far more busy, many people separated into small groups as they talk fill the space, none bothering to look up as I join them, looking for anyone I know who can give me answers.

Spotting Isaiah at the other end of the room, speaking to some unfamiliar face, I walk to meet him, hoping I don't have to awkwardly stand behind him while he talks. Mercifully, the sullen looking man he was speaking to gives him a farewell nod and moves onto another group, allowing me to occupy the Alpha's intention instead.

"What's with all the commotion?" I ask, motioning to all the well-dressed people. Isaiah too is well-dressed, opting for a black jacket with a crimson under shirt, each wave to his ebony hair smooth and purposefully placed.

"Important people are here," he says, as if he suspects someone should be listening into our conversation. Then his tone drops a note deeper as he speaks lowly to me. "Zire should have briefed you."

I blink. "He did."

Now that Isaiah mentions it, Zire did mention it to me a couple days ago. All these people are here for a meeting about attaining land in rural districts of the Pack, which is allegedly promising. Whatever they plan to use it for, I don't care, it's land being taken from the farmers, from those who had it passed down to them through generations. It took everything in me to quietly nod along with what Zire was saying, trying not to react.

"I wouldn't have taken your bed to be the best place to conduct meetings about work..." Isaiah mutters coldly. I think about last night, the words Zire and I exchanged. Isaiah interrupted us at a compromising point, so I can imagine what he is thinking.

It benefits me, I realise, for him to think something is happening between Zire and I.

"We weren't talking about work," I respond easily, training my gaze on a pretty woman conversing with another, both looking bored of the crowd around them. Likewise.

Isaiah grabs my sheer sleeve of my dress, tugging it gently to get my attention. "What were you talking about?"

I glance at him, and for once, I see a hint of vulnerability within him. I've decided I like the way his deep, forest green eyes glisten when he is intrigued by me, and how the depths of gaze reveal hints to what he is thinking. He won't admit it, but he has been thinking about Zire and I, and it's been bothering him.

"Am I sitting in on this meeting, or just taking photos?" I ask instead, not wanting to divulge him in any details of Zire and I's relationship. The truth wouldn't work, anyway. Zire is seemingly on to me, and I blatantly threatened him.

Isaiah pauses, letting me bathe in a single, small victory, before he straightens, sighing through his nose. "Whatever you like."

"I'll sit in." The more information I get, the better.

"You won't be familiar with any of these people, and name's are not important," Isaiah explains, motioning to the group of people before us, still stuck in conversation. Names would be nice, so members of the Rebellion could do some investigating, but I'm not going to push it. Not when Zire has shaken my confidence. "I'm signing off on a deal to start construction on a new factory."

So that's what the land is for. I slather a pretty smile onto my face, trying not to sound sardonic. "Wonderful."

"Hmm," Isaiah merely muses, before turning to speak to someone as they approach them.