SIX

Word Count: 1672

¬Avia

I barely have a chance to grab my morning coffee before Isaiah approaches me.

"Kenna, good morning," he says, smiling tightly at me. He can be so effortlessly polite, conditioned his whole life to assume the role of someone whose best asset is to hide their true intentions. "I wanted to introduce you to some people."

I'm already aware of exactly who I'm expected to convene with, but I appear none-the-wiser anyway. "Who?"

He nods for me to follow him. "These are to be your friends while you are here. They have very influential families that if you're seen with, will boost your reputation."

"Wonderful," I reply, hoping my tone isn't overly excited.

In reality, I'm dreading this. Having to have a conversation with a group of girls who I doubt I have anything in common with sounds like my personal nightmare, but regardless, I'm going to use this opportunity to get as much out of them as possible.

Wordlessly, I follow Isaiah out of the estate through one of the back exits. A large formal lawn stretches out, a white gazebo sitting to our right, surrounded by a group of tall trees. In the gazebo, I can see three figures sitting around a small table, speaking between themselves. My stomach churns, and for once, the anger I feel to all these people is lost, replaced instead by nerves.

Isaiah looks down at me, brow raised. He seems reluctant to take me out there, almost like he feels guilty for subjecting me to their presence. He has Alpha duties calling him away from the estate today, or I believe that's the case from what I overheard yesterday from his conversation with Zire. His jacket is a dark, rich crimson colour, the undershirt black. Whatever duty he is attending to, it's definitely formal.

We walk across the formal lawn toward the gazebo, not exchanging any words between us. The girls all turn their heads upon our approach, blatantly observing us, going completely silent. I try not to lower my gaze in submission, keeping it raised on each girl in turn as Isaiah and I walk up the few steps into the gazebo.

The girls are all effortlessly beautiful, dripping with wealth in so many different ways. I see it in their clothes, their jewellery and even in the air about them.

"Girls, this is Kenna, who I told you all about," Isaiah introduces smoothly, motioning to me.

The girl sitting closest to me stands in one sweeping motion, her chair pushed back. "I'm Cherry, this is Savea and Mari."

The girl standing, Cherry, smiles at me widely, honey-coloured eyes warm and welcoming. She reaches forward, the hands covered in white lace gloves, grabbing my own to lead me to sit down beside her at the table. Morning tea is set up in front of me, small pastries on prettily painted plates are laid out in the sun, looking delightfully inviting.

I look at each girl in turn, trying to keep the smile on my face. "Lovely to meet you all."

"You must hate it here, it's so hot for someone who is from the Love Pack," Savea exclaims, fanning herself with a jade green fan, long dark hair billowing behind her.

I try not to laugh, knowing I haven't been in the Love Pack since I was very young, and now thrive in the warm Passion Pack weather. Cherry leans over, minding her flowy white sleeves over her plate of food, grabbing the teapot to pour me a cup of bronze tinted tea. When I look back up, Isaiah is walking back to the estate my heart sinking at the sight.

"I don't mind it so much," I shrug.

"So you're here to make the Alpha look good?" Cherry asks, handing me my tea. It smells sickly sweet, but I take a sip anyway, trying not to look out of place amongst these girls. She has a knowing look in her eyes as she sweeps her light blonde hair back over her shoulder, propping her chin on her hand to look at me.