Lancelot and Guinevere

Start from the beginning

"Only one of you will emerge from the cage alive. Do you accept the challenge?" Hengist said. He bowed, and the fight was simple, the man was ultimately spared. Hengist tossed a bag of coins to the man.

"What is your name?" Hengist said.

"My name is Lancelot."

"You have proved yourself to be a skillful warrior. I believe you may even have impressed our royal guest, Lady Morgana and her servant." Hengist commented. Lancelot bowed to Coventina.

"My Lady." Lancelot smiled. Out of the corner of her eye, Coventina saw Gwen smile.

Hengist laughed. "Next time you fight, do not expect any mercy. Release the Wilddeoren." Coventina's eyes widened in shock at seeing a horrible pig like creature.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later in the night, Coventina curled against Gwen in the bed since it was so small, hearing part of her and Lancelot's conversation, before falling back asleep. She heard the cell door open, seeing Hengist enter. She stood up sharply.

"I've not yet received word from Uther that he intends to pay your ransom. I was informed that the King was extremely fond of his ward. Are you not surprised he is content to leave you here to die?" Hengist taunted.

"How can I know the King's mind when I am locked in your stinking cell?" Coventina questioned.

"If I do not hear from Uther by dawn tomorrow, this stinking cell will be the last place you ever see." Hengist said. He cackled. As he exited, Coventina fell against Gwen on the bed.

"I am never going to get back to Morgana." Coventina sighed. Gwen took her hand, patting it.

"I assure you, Lancelot would not leave us behind." Gwen promised.

A few hours passed, and Hengist still had not receive them.

"Gwen." Lancelot said.

"Lancelot." Gwen said.

"I was terrified I might find your cell empty." Lancelot admitted.

"There's been no word from Uther. I fear Hengist is growing suspicious." Coventina explained.

"You must keep up the pretence. I will not allow you to die here." Lancelot said.

"What about you?" Gwen asked.

"I have little to live for." Lancelot stated.

"Do not say that." Gwen protested.

"It's the truth. For all my words, for all that I believed, I have come to nothing." Lancelot sighed, placing his hand on the bars of the window.

"You are everything that is right with this world." Gwen said.

"I did not know you felt that way." Lancelot said, a smile on his face.

"I didn't even know I could feel this way about someone." Gwen said.

"Then you have given me a reason to live. Be ready. I will come for you before nightfall." Lancelot said, before departing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Coventina almost the ground as she was shoved into a cage with Hengist and some of the other bandits.

"Morgana. Morgana! I keep asking myself, "Why does Uther not pay the ransom? He's a rich man, why would he leave his beloved ward to suffer a slow and terrible death?" Hengist boasted.