Chapter 7: The Bathtub

Mike is helping El remove the dirt and grime off her face in the bathroom, while I already groomed myself clean. Dustin and I are sitting in the basement, bored. I faintly hear Mike and El saying stuff.

"That's better." Mike says. A few moments later, he says, "You don't need it."

"Still pretty?" El asks so softly, I can barely hear it.

"Yeah! Pretty. Really pretty."

I roll my eyes. Just then, Dustin's supercom starts speaking. I can not make out what the person is saying, but it sounds like Lucas.

"Lucas? Understand?" I ask Dustin, who shakes his head. "Get Mike."

Dustin nods and rushes to the bathroom. He bursts open the door and says, "Guys! It's Lucas, we think he's in trouble." Dustin comes back with Mike and El and starts saying, "Do you remember how he said he was looking for the gate?"

"Yeah?" Mike asks.

"What if he found it?" Dustin asks.

We hear more indistinct shouting from Lucas.

"What's he saying?" Mike asks, taking the radio from Dustin.

"I don't know, he's way out of range."

Mike speaks to Lucas, "Lucas, if you can hear us, slow down. We can't understand you."

We hear some more blurred shouts from Lucas.

" 'Mad hen.'  Does that mean anything to you? Like a code name or something?" Dustin asks.

Finally, Lucas gets a clear message through, and it chills me to the bone.

"The bad men are coming!"

"Bad men." Mike whispers, before loudly repeating, "Bad men!"

I can not help the whimper that escapes my throat. Mike puts down the radio and runs upstairs.

"Stay here." He shouts as he runs up the stairs, Dustin following him.

I whimper, remembering all the needles, the whipping for disobedience, and all the tests and experiments. I stumble backwards, trip over a box and fall on my butt. I feel my different instincts all battling for what I should do. Hide, run, hunt, fight. Hide, run, hunt, fight. Hide, run, hunt, fight.

The boys race downstairs. We all run outside and the boys grab their bikes. We run around the house and everyone starts getting onto bikes. El and I get on Mike's and Dustin's bikes respectively. We look back and see Papa leading a group of people towards us.

"Go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go!" Dustin says.

Mike and Dustin start pedaling, speeding across the ground. Papa and the bad men turn and get back into the cars, giving chase.

"Oh, my God. Oh, my God. Oh, my God. Oh, my God. Oh, my God." Dustin chants. Dustin holds his radio headset and says, "Yeah, Lucas, they're on us.... Cornwallis....Copy. Elm and Cherry!"

"Okay." Mike says and the boys start heading faster.

As we are going down a street, the bad men find us and chase us.

"Shit!"

"This way, come on!"

We go through lawns, past streets, alleyways, and so many more places. We go through a park, sending families diving out of the way.

We come out of the park and nearly crash into Lucas. We all come to a screeching stop.

"Lucas!" Mike says, relieved.