Chapter 4: The Body

Chapter 4: The Body

Needless to say, Mike was not too happy when he arrived downstairs in his basement to see El playing with his supercom and me playing with a few of his toys. Mike ignored us, with the exception of occasionally sending glares at us, mostly me.

It was quite obvious to see he liked El. Even a blind rabbit could see it. Which means he put most of the blame on me, even though this is not my fault. Heck, it is not even El's fault. It is the fault of whoever took Will.

Mike is going through some drawings as he ignores us. I can see that the constant static coming from the supercom is getting to him.

Eventually, he breaks. "Can you please stop that?" Mike asks.

El turns it off, waits till Mike goes back to his papers before turning it back in and fiddling with it.

"Are you deaf?" Mike asks rhetorically. Then he lets it all out. "I thought we were friends, you know? But friends tell each other the truth. And they definitely do not lie to each other. You made me think Will was okay, that he was still out there, but he was not. He was not! Maybe you guys thought you were helping, but you were not. You hurt me. Do you understand? What you did sucks. Lucas was right about you guys. All along."

Mike goes right back to his papers and we look away from him, El going back to the supercom. Then, not a few sections later, we hear a boys voice sing through the static.

"So come on and let me know, should I stay or should I go?"

Mike looks up and we both look at El. She is just looking back at Mike, blood starting to trickle down from her nose.

"Should I stay or should I go now?"

Mike gets up, throwing the papers aside and races over to El.

"If I go there will be trouble. If I stay it will be double."

Mike grabs the supercom and shouts into it. "Will, is that you? It's Mike! Do you copy? Over."

We wait for a response, but it is back to static.

"Will, are you there? Will!"

Just static.

Mike puts down the supercom and turns it off. He looks at El and asks, "Was that... Was it..."

"Will." El confirms.

Eventually, we go to bed and Mike goes back upstairs, but he takes the supercom with him. The next morning, we wait for Mike to come downstairs. After some time, Mike comes down with Lucas and Dustin. While Mike explains what happened last night, he also got us breakfast. The Eggos for El and a few fruits and bacon for me.

Once we finish eating, we all sit in a circle and Mike gets El to get Will again. After a little bit of using the radio, we hear whimpering coming from the supercom.

"We keep losing the signal, but you heard it, right?" Mike asks.

"Yeah, I heard a baby." Lucas says.

"What?" Mike asks, confused.

"Mike, you obviously tapped into a baby monitor. It's probably the Blackburns' next door." Lucas explains.

Angrily, Mike asks, "Uh, did that sound like a baby to you? That was Will."

Lucas rolls his eyes and says, "Mike."

"Lucas, you don't understand. He spoke last night. Words!" Mike insists. "He was singing that weird song he loves. Even El and Tina heard him!"

"Oh, well, if the weirdoes heard him, then I guess—"

"Are you sure you're on the right channel?" Dustin asks, cutting off Lucas.