Chapter 2: The Weirdoes on Maple Street

The boys argue and eventually agree to take us to Mike's house. Mike gives 011 his coat and the other boy, Dustin, gives me his. The last boy, Lucas seems to be against us going back with them.

The boys lead us through the forest to a road. We go under the caution tape and they bike us to Mike's home.

Now we are all in Mike's basement and Mike, Lucas and Dustin all bombarded us with questions.

"Is there a number we can call for your parents?"

"Where's your hair? Do you guys have cancer?"

"Did you run away?"

"Are you in some kind of trouble?"

"Is that blood?"

Lucas reaches forward. We recoil as Mike smack his hand away.

"Stop it! You're freaking them out!" Mike scolds.

"They're freaking me out!" Lucas retorts.

"I bet they're deaf." Dustin says. He then suddenly claps, making 011 and I flinch. "Not deaf."

"All right, that's enough, all right?" The boy known as Mike says. "They're just scared and cold.

Mike scurries off. While we are waiting for him to come back, the sky crashes outside and 011 and I flinch again.

Mike then comes back with clothes and gives them to us.

"Here," he says, "these are clean. Okay?"

We takes the clothes and rub the soft fabric on our faces. We shrugs off our jackets and stand up. We reach for the bottom of Benny's big wet shirt, before—

"No, no, no, no!" The boys start freaking out. Lucas and Dustin turn away repeating the phrase "Oh, my God." Mike pulls our shirts back down and look away.

"See over there?" Mike stammers and points to a door. "That's the bathroom. Privacy. Get it?"

Confused by the sudden outburst, 011 and I pick up our new clothes and head to the place Mike pointed to. We look inside and see Mike closing the door. Luckily, 011 thinks quickly and grabs the door, stopping Mike from closing the door.

"You don't want it closed?" asks Mike.

We look at the door, then at Mike and say, "No."

"Oh, so you can speak." Mike comments. "Okay, we'll... Um, how about we just keep the door..." Mike slowly shuts the door, until 3 inches are left. "Just like this? Is that better?"

"Yes." 011 says.

Mike nods and leaves. We change out of the clothes Benny gave us and into the new clothes from Mike. Once we finish, we both leave. When we arrive, Mike is making a fort and Lucas and Dustin are packing their things to go. Mike leads us to the fort and tells us to go inside.

"Here you go. This is Nancy's and my sleeping bags." Mike says, handing us some items.

Thanks to my enhanced hearing, I hear Dustin ask, "You really think they're psycho?"

I look straight at Lucas, who is looking at us. "Wouldn't want them in my house."

And then they walk up the stairs. Meanwhile, 011 and Mike have been setting up our beds.

"Hey, um, I never asked your name." Mike says.

011 and I share a look, before exposing our tattoos.

"Are those real?" asks Mike, reaching for it.