Off Guard

Links for related pic:

~DA: https://www.deviantart.com/imperial-radiance/art/Off-Guard-871123763

~Tumblr: https://empressxmachina.tumblr.com/post/668483775186026496/off-guard-by-imperial-radiance-on-deviantart

The Soldiers of the State were at it again. Or was it the Onyx Order this time? Someone else? In truth, it really didn't matter. Ysi just knew she was getting got again, this time from what appeared to be stealth vehicles. Whoever they were, they had gotten better at testing her since the last time someone tried something like this, seen obviously by the numerous, new cores and cinders multiplying in her top-floor, tower dungeon. But so had she, countering every shot with sparks of her own conjured energy, even ending some before they started.

They were fast, but Ysi was faster. Yet, she wasn't the sole surprise. From planes blending with the sky to fighters camouflaged like rubble on the ground, they were nothing, perhaps literally out of sight, to the outsider guard between them and Ysi, him being a skyscraper of his own that got caught in the crossfire.

 From planes blending with the sky to fighters camouflaged like rubble on the ground, they were nothing, perhaps literally out of sight, to the outsider guard between them and Ysi, him being a skyscraper of his own that got caught in the crossfire

It was an accident, caught off guard for an instant, and it was bound to be her downfall. The plumes in the distance erupting and the muzzled, merc'd militia below were put in her blind spot. Time slowed down as one of her laser rays grazed the overgrown Lion's face, setting forth streams of blood dropping off the gargantuan guard onto his fortress-sized armor. He moved into the frame so suddenly that contact was unavoidable. If Ysi was lucky, further contact could go the opposite way.

An elongated growl of thunder shaking stones out her walls blanched her skin, widened her eyes, and snuffed her luck.

Peeking out a window from inside her caverns onto a plane hangar of a helmet reflected a visage of the Lion lying on the tower, observing his slash, and using his own mystical abilities to heal it. His reverting to normalcy was perfectly acceptable. That normalcy, however, was anything but, and the succeeding view of him simultaneously adjusting his uniform froze Ysi's pulse.

She knew what was coming. She stood in place, taking full blame for her actions with maintained fire essences' glows while hopefully looking sympathetically cute simultaneously in hopes the Lion would lower his lashes for once.

Another groan reverberated from the depths of Hell, tousling the canopies of the surrounding Mirage of Trees, if not the whole island, along with the pebbled spire. The Lion lifted off the ground, sending the tower's apex below his waist, whipping the most extended locks of his mane across her vista. Gravity began to shift, and the walls started to crumble. The little bits of daylight Ysi had naturally were thrown into night.

The light was replaced by sound and scents. Composure was switched out for chipping emotion and numbness. The Lion was all-encompassing, leaving no room to breathe, and Ysi fell into the resultant void.

A report form was filed after, as was tradition, to the Prime's pleasure and the King's concern. Ysi and the Lion reverted to their base states afterward: an unreadable expression on the outside versus an eternal, unbruised smile within. With a dice roll of variation, the cycle continued.