Soul Snatching: Chapter 16!

Start from the beginning

I look up to see Paul’s shocked expression. I am sure that mine mirrored his. I can’t believe that I just let someone die. Thorg trusted me to help him and I just abandoned him when he needed me most, because he tortured one of our opponents. Isn’t that what we are all here for, to kill one another? So why does it feel so horrible when we do?

I see that Paul buries Thorg’s mace. He even pocketed Tara’s dagger. However, when I looked for Thorg’s dead body, I couldn’t seem to find it. Had Paul moved it somewhere else?

After a few moments of searching for Thorg I see him with a large boulder in his hands. If looks could kill, we would all be dead by now. Paul easily dodged Thorg’s clumsy attempts at trying to hurt him. This is my second chance. I can save Thorg if I want to.

I shifted around a little, to get a better view of the fight, when a twig snapped beneath my weight. Thorg stupidly turned around, and even in the darkness of the night his eyes met mine. They begged me to help him, to save him from Paul’s wrath.

In return, my eyes held no mercy. Whether he actually did the things he said or not, his heart is as black as his soul. There was no way I was going to associate with him anymore. That is why I didn’t warn him when Paul’s sword plunged through his charcoal heart.

The amount of guilt I felt overwhelmed me. I wasn’t supposed to be this weak. Why should I feel guilty? This is my Soul Snatching, I am supposed to help kill people. Somehow, I couldn’t seem to convince myself that what I did was alright.

I heard the faintest noise coming out of Paul’s mouth, “For Tara.”

“For Tara,” I whispered to myself. I surprised myself with those words, why did she even matter so much to me, I barely even know her? My mind was baffled by the idea, but I just let it go. Was she really the reason I let Paul kill my ally?

“You betrayed me,” it was so faint that I wasn’t sure I heard right, but even in the darkness I could see the confusion on Paul’s face. I don’t think he realized that Thorg was talking to me.

I could kill him now if I really wanted to, but something in me protested. I think one death is enough for the day. Besides, I really need to go find Tara, to make sure that she is alright. I internally groaned in frustration. Why do I care so much!

I should just go to sleep…

A blissful and peaceful sleep…

Paul’s POV

I got prepared for the fatal plunge, and then…

I killed him.

My sword went right through his pitch black heart. His brown beady eyes met mine. The amount of hatred in them was unfathomable.

“For Tara,” I whispered, knowing that he would hear me, hoping that he would regret torturing her. I involuntarily shuddered. My skin tingled with goosebumps. I just killed a person. Paul White is a murderer.

He started stuttering, as if he was trying to say something. Blood gushed out of his chest. I was surprised he wasn’t screaming in pain.

“You betrayed me,” he barely managed to mutter out as he fell back to the floor. How in the world did I betray him? We were never friends in the first place.

I shook those thoughts away as I looked at his cold lifeless body on the ground. Tears unwillingly gushed out of my eyes. He was dead and it was all my fault. What if he had a family that loved him? What if he was an only child and his parents depended on him to win? Suddenly, logic intervened my pity session. What if he killed you first?