Soul Snatching: Chapter 16!

Recap:

Even though Thorg was loudly yelling, we both still heard a twig break in the bushes. I could tell that it had come from the bush right behind Thorg. He stupidly turned around to see what it was and I had the opportunity to kill him.

I had thought that I had killed him once, could I really do it again? I had to do it though. He tortured Tara to death, and now I am going to give him a taste of his own medicine. I cringed at the thought of Tara’s dead tortured body laying somewhere on the forest floor, desperately calling me for help.

 My palms felt clammy from all the sweat that clung on to them. The handle of my sword felt heavy. My hand involuntarily trembled as I griped on the sword for dear life. I got prepared for the fatal plunge, and then…

---

Hunter’s POV

I stood behind a tree waiting for anyone who dared come near the lake. It was very dark outside. I blended right in with the shadows. I was bored out of my mind. I wasted hours just counting the leaves of the tree I was under.

541

542

543

I watched as a leaf fell down, had I already counted that one?

544

545

Someone’s loud yell interrupted my counting. I knew that it was Thorg. However, instead of springing into action my feet stayed rooted to the ground. A part of me wanted to go help him, but an equally persistent part wanted me to stay.

If I stayed he might die. If he dies then I will be one step closer to winning, but I would also be partner less. With my wounded shoulder will I be able to defeat my other opponents? I know for a fact that Tara and Paul are together, making it much easier to kill me if they have too.

If I save him he might try to kill me later on. Not to mention the fact that he has no idea that my shoulder still hurts. What if he finds out about my wounded shoulder and decides to kill me himself? Maybe this is all just a test to see if I will go to help him. The idea seems a little far-fetched, but you never know what to expect with Thorg.

I decided to go see what is going on. Maybe Tara has found Paul and is seeking revenge against me. My stomach turned at the thought. Tara’s revenge would not be pretty, yet I still couldn’t help but like her even more for that very reason.

I shook my head at the thought. I need to focus on finding Thorg. His screaming continued and it was relatively easy to find him. Heck, I am surprised the whole forest hasn’t come to see what is going on yet. I stealthily hid in a bush. I can easily see everything that is going on.

Thorg is telling Paul that he killed Tara. My mind went numb at the thought. He was describing, in great detail, all the things he did to her. It is not true, it is not true, I kept telling myself, but I couldn’t calm the storm that raged within me. Did he really do that to her? No it isn’t possible, he would have told me if he did. I would have felt it. I desperately tried to convince myself that there is no way that Tara is dead, but it was no use I still feared for her life.

I mentally slapped myself, he got her dagger the day she dropped it at the lake. I can easily remember fighting with her, teasing her. I smiled at the thought.

That also meant that she was defenseless, for I had her second dagger. There was no way that she had a third. Was there?

I was so distracted I almost missed Paul shoving Thorg out of the tree. I knew that if I wanted to I could save him. I could easily help break his fall. Yet, if he killed Tara he deserved to die. If he tortured her like he said he did then he surely deserved everything that was coming to him, right? It was hard to think straight when I saw Thorg’s lifeless body on the ground. His eyes were tightly shut and his nearly bald head seemed to rest against the trees roots.