Act 1, Part 5, Chapter 14

Valen

The air — and the Gloam — were so still it was as if this moment sat frozen, ripped from time and held apart. Like a piece of a machine taken out and examined, not to be replaced until whatever watched had an answer.

"Spit and burning ash," Captain Dremora swore. "Two occasions where something from beyond the Gloam is reaching out and extinguishing fires. One could be overlooked, even forgotten. But two?"

"You need to get word of this?" Cadmus asked.

"I do. Valen?"

Valen understood what was about to be asked of him. Part of him even agreed. He didn't understand what he had seen in the last few minutes, but appreciated how important they were. Especially if their enemy was actively trying to prevent their return. But he found, at last, something he was unwilling to do, "No sir," Valen said. "You need my sword right now."

"The obvious choice is you, sir," Cadmus said. "Take a torch and run. You might meet up with the rest of the platoon."

"I dislike hearing you be the voice of reasons Cadmus. Poe?"

"I'm going to join in on this general insubordination, sir. I'm not willing to make your chances worse," Spitfire replied.

"I really shouldn't be as proud of your obstinate stupidity as I am," the captain grumbled, as he pulled out one of his spare torches.

And then, the Gloam moved. It surged close, rushing forward so quickly Valen stumbled back a step and pointed his sword at it, and was frightened when it stopped so close he could touch his sword point into it.

"That settles it," Captain Dremora said, and he used Spitfire's torch to light his own. "Poe, stick with Cadmus and Redgrave. You're their torch, keep the Gloam off them. I'll run ahead with Sandson and try to reach the others. I'll send a squad back your way if I catch up to them."

The lieutenant tried to say something, but Captain Dremora made a small hop and drove his shoulder into Sandson's chest. "Think I was going to hear something stupid come out of your mouth, like 'leave me behind'. That isn't how I fight a war, even this one. Cadmus, Valen, don't let them get around you. And remember, you're the rearguard. This isn't a last stand. Fight to win."

The captain turned, and ran towards the south. The Gloam devoured the space between them in seconds, and with it, closed over their heads and fully blotted out the sky. It wasn't darkness — Spitfire's torch burned bright enough to cast shadows, but those shadows were now midnight-dark.

"Burn me, that's scary," Spitfire said. Valen could see her staring up at the Gloam, and waving the torch towards it. "I didn't know it could blot out the sky like that, even with a torch."

"Watch your backs, the Gloamtaken could be on us at any moment," Cadmus ordered. "Frankly, it's strange they aren't already."

"The Golem stopped for well over a minute after something extinguished Vincent's Craft. Perhaps it's the same for the Gloamtaken?" Valen asked.

Something rumbled in the distance, like a hundred-thousand feet striking the ground at the same time. It was strangely, unnaturally loud, like hearing a whisper as if it was a shout.

Spitfire looked over her shoulder. "Is that..."

"The Gloamtaken," Valen said.

"Run for the next trench, we'll make a stand there!" Cadmus bellowed.

Valen ran behind Spitfire, keeping as close as he could manage. The Gloam lingered close now, still just beyond the reach of his sword. And it closed the space behind her passing torch hungrily, so much so that when Cadmus stumbled and had to catch himself, he nearly disappeared into the mist.