Chapter Twelve

THE GROUP SAT IN SILENCE AS Christine told them about camp

THE GROUP SAT IN SILENCE AS Christine told them about camp. From Nurse Lane going crazy to when Tommy bludgeoned her sister with an axe, the two dying next to each other only inches apart. Elena thought it was poetic.

Josh's eyes went wide as he stared at the redhead. "Wait— you're ziggy?" Josh asked. Christine looked down sadly. It was a sad memory for her that she didn't want to relive, but she was feeling like it was happening all over again.

"Cindy...my sister- she sacrificed herself for nothing. I told everyone the story of how she died. The story I just told you" Christine's eyes water slightly. "And no one believed me" Her voice was rough as she spoke.

"And Nick?" Deena breathed out. "I thought he was different. I thought he would believe me. But Nick had a destiny in this town. And you don't become sheriff tabling about ghost stories" Christine frowned at the memory of Nick, and how he betrayed her. Her trust.

"I couldn't see him again. Not after that" Christina whispered. "The witch...the town curse...For one night, Cindy believed that there was a way to end it. So I thought there was too. But now I know...there is no end" The redhead stared straight ahead. It was almost trance-like as the group stared almost as if they were there themselves experiencing it with her back in 1978. The alarm clock went off causing the group to jump.

"Like I said, your best chance is to run from this place. Go as far as you, can hope a bus doesn't hit you on the way out" Christine spit. Elena laughed slightly, she thought that Ziggy sounded like Deena...or maybe it was Deena who sounded like Ziggy.

"We found the body. Off Highway 5 in the woods between Shadyside and Sunnyvale," Deena stepped forward. "It's not possible" Ziggy shook her head. "Oh, it's there. Trust us" Elena sighed. "The chains, the bones, the whole thing" Josh added "They could be anyone" Christina slowly backed into a corner.

"Why do you think our friends died? For the same reason, they killed Alice, your sister. The killers came after us because we found something they didn't want us to find. And I wish to god that it never happened but we found it" Deena's breathing was labored as she spoke.

Maybe she was scared or nervous but what she was saying was the truth and Ziggy was listening. She was listening to every word Deena said. "We found what you were looking for in '78. We found Sarah Fier" Elena ran her hand down her face as Deena talked. "Look, please, we... Nurse Lane was right. We can end the curse by reuniting the hand with the body and we know where the body is so all we need is the hand. What happened to Camp Nightwing? Is the hand bone still there? Is it still hurried underneath the hanging tree?" The question seemed to just rapidly fire out of Deena's mouth.

***

Elena sniffled slightly as she sat in Christine's chair. She left to make them coffee since Josh and Deena left to get the bone. "So, you had a boyfriend?" Christine handed Elena a mug. "Yeah, Simon. We got together hours before he died" Elena nawed on her lip. "We said we wouldn't die but I guess I'm the only one who listened" Elena chuckled lowly. "He always did have trouble following directions"

"I'm sorry, I- I know what it's like" Christine sighed. "It's fine, I mean. I'm sure I'll get over him eventually but I'll never forget him. Hell always be with me" Elena smiled. "So— what happened the other night? Everything got blamed on your friends" Christine moved the hair from her face.

"We were going to kill Sam. She was who they were after. While Deena was helping Sam OD, the rest of us put Sam's blood on us to draw the killers away, we didn't do a good job because my friend's head got shredded through a bread slicer and Simon had an axe in his head. But by the time Sam died, I was dead too. The only reason I'm here is because Josh gave me CPR refusing to let another person die" Elena closed her eyes as she spoke.

The only thing she regretted from that night was not being strong enough to save her friends. She'd gone over it at least a million times trying to find a way to stop their deaths but each way it played out in her death they died anyway whether she delayed the process or not. She knew she couldn't save them but that didn't stop her from imagining it. Imagine a normal life after everything with her boyfriend and best friend.