7

we see deena and sam coming out of the station. 

"we need to leave" deena says in a serious voice.

"i think we should stay. we're safe here. what if that psycho shows up again?" sam says. 

"then we'll be ready" deena says as she takes a gun out of her shirt. 

"deena what the fuck" i say to her. 

"is that the cop's? you stole a cop's gun?" sam says. 

"fuck yeah she did!" kate says, encouraging her.

"why the hell would you take it?" i ask her.

"they didn't believe us. we're on our own" she says. "now where the hell is simon?" she asks. simon did take longer than expected.

we all thought he was just playing around and taking long on purpose. what we didn't know what that he was being attacked by some crazy girl. 

we all go to find him. we see him fighting this girl is a white blouse and black skirt. deena pulls the trigger 3 times.

"holy shit" i say. "come on simon, lets go!" i yell to him. 

simon screams but i stand there staring at the girl on the ground. i see her coming back up. coming back to life after she just got shot. 

deena pulls me. "come on" she says. 

i think to myself, 'how did she survive. who the fuck was that. why was she attacking simon. am i dreaming.'

we all get on the ambulance, scared, and drive back to my house. 

"it doesn't make sense. i mean how is that even possible? its not." i say. this night just got 10 times worse and even fucking creepier. 

"who the hell was that?" deena asks. 

"how the hell should i know? she-" simon says to us. "she was hot! i dont know! the bitch seemed normal!"

"simon you literal idiot" deena says to him.

"simon i hate to break it to you, but normal bitches don't bleed black fucking blood!" i say.

"well she was hot and normal, until she attacked me with a fucking razor blade!" he replies.

the razor blade started to sound familiar. a girl who attacks with a razor blade. i've heard that somewhere before. 

"wait. what. a razor blade?" josh says.

as he said that, i remembered where i recognized this story. 

ruby lane. 

simon replies to josh, "yeah, for like old-timey shaving, or in this case i guess slitting her-"

"wrists. she slashed her wrists" i reply.

everyone looks and me, each with a different look on their face.

"wait was she singing something? like an old song maybe, an old song simon. was she singing an old song?" i say.

"how the fuck do you know that sel? what the fuck" simon reply's.

i turn to josh and whisper, "ruby fucking lane." i'm not the expert on this, he is.

as we head downstairs, josh goes towards his crime wall. he bring all of us a old newspaper page. ruby lanes page.

"this is ruby lane. the girl who attacked you" he says. "she sang as she murdered her boyfriend, her friends, and then she killed herself.  slashed her wrists."

"jesus. why didn't i see this on the news?" kate says.

"it happened 30 years ago. in 1965" i say.

everyone turns looking confused and worried. 

josh heads back to his crime wall and rips a bunch of old pages from newspapers he had up there. 

"ruby is one of shadyside's killers, just like skull mask. i mean, ryan torres." josh says.

everyone looks at the page confused. this all connects to the myth of the witch of shadyside. maybe it's real. maybe it's not.

"look, 1978. sixteen years ago. 'masked psycho murders a bunch of kids at-" he says.

"camp nightwing. my moms sister was there. that screwed my family up for a long time" kate says.

"1950, harry rooker."

"wasn't he that milkman who slashed a bunch of housewives." i say. everyone turns to me, confused. i don't think anyone thought i would've known about this, but i know some truth about these killings. 

"and then it was 1935. the humpty dumpty killer. then billy barker, 1922. 1904 it was the grifter who guts girls." i say.

"and it goes on and on and on." josh says as he puts each individual newspaper page on the table. 

we all look at the pages. simon finds a drawing of one of the killer. the pastor. 

"jesus, look at this guy" he says.

"that's the pastor. cyrus miller. he was the first one recorded in 1666" josh replies. "he killed kids and cut out their eyes."

sam walks away. deena right behind her.

"its sarah fier. she's turning shadysider's into killer" josh says as he pulls a page from the pile. 

"josh it's not real. no one actually believes this witch shit is real." kate says as she looks around at everyone.

"yeah, this is what babysitters make up to scare kids" says simon.

"guys it might be real. i don't know much on this but look" i say as i show them a picture of someone being hanged. "in 1666, sarah fier was hanged for witchcraft. and ever since she was executed, she's been possessing people. everyone who was turned into a shadyside killer was her way of revenge on the town."

"it's like a nursery rhyme" simon says. he says "before the witch's final breath, she found a way to cheat her death. by cutting off her cursed hand, she kept her grip upon our land. she reaches from beyond the grave, to make good men her wicked slaves."

"this shit is real guys. i didn't think it was but it is. shadyside isn't just some hotbed for psychos. all of these massacres are connected to sarah fier. the whole witch's curse on this town. it's fucking real." i say to them. 

kate looks up at me. "fine. let's assume that the witch has been possessing people for some sort of messed-up vendetta. this isn't the same as the mall massacre. something different is happening to us." she sounds scared and worried. "something way worse. look we have two of her killers after us and both of them are dead. why is she so mad at us?"

i hear a voice say, "i saw her." sam and deena appear on the stairs. we all turn to them.

"last night, i dont- i dont know. i thought i hit my head but it was her." she says looking down nervously. 

"i saw the witch."