Chapter 5: Confessions, Dinners, and Agreements

Marinette sat still in the quiet dining room waiting for someone to break the silence.

"So, um how did you and Jason meet?" an older boy asked smiling politely at her.

"Yeah, why Jason?" another asked before getting elbowed by the first in an attempt to shut him up.

"Um, he, I," Marinette started and Jason cut her off.

"She bumped into Jon at the airport and he texted me to show her around by mistake, he meant to text you but I don't think he's realized that yet," Jason said to Damian.

"Well, it's nice to meet you Marinette, what a coincidence that you bumped into Jon of all people, I'm Dick," Dick said smiling at her.

"Tim," the other who spoke earlier said and they all went around the table stating their names until it got to Bruce.

"I hope you find your stay in Gotham enjoyable," Bruce said as Alfred served dinner. Marinette's eyes widened at the meal placed before her.

"Wow, this looks amazing thank you," Marinette said smiling up at the elder man.

"At least someone at this table has manners," Alfred scolded the rest.

"Alf, you know we worship you," Jason said and the other's piped in with comments like "all hail our savior Alfred" or "all mighty Alfred we love you and appreciate you" the blonde girl named Steph even dropped to her knees. Marinette just laughed at the chaos that seemed to swirl around the family.

"Father, is it ok if I am dismissed early tonight, I need to text Jon and apologize for last night," Damian said making Marinette intrigued.

"What did you do this time?" Tim asked rolling his eyes.

"This time?" Marinette asked curious and then slapped her hand over her mouth as she didn't mean to say it outloud.

"He's been way too protective of Jon lately, it's like he's not giving him any space to grow as a person," Tim said and Damian glared at him.

"He's not exactly great with social cues, he doesn't know who to trust and who not to trust," Dick said and Damian looked over at him betrayed.

"So poor baby boy Jon gets dragged into things he's probably not interested in," Steph said.

"So tell us Damian, what. Did. You. Do." Jason said from next to him and Cass just wore a devious smile on her face soaking in the chaos.

Damian groaned and Bruce raised an eyebrow at his youngest waiting.

"I didn't text him I love you back last night, I fell asleep," Damian said scratching the back of his neck as Dick stood up slamming his hand on the table.

"For shame!" Dick shouted as Kori, his wife rubbed his back pulling him back down.

"You monster," Steph said hand over her heart.

"It's not that big of a deal, and I'm sure Jon will be fine so can I go father?" Damian asked and Bruce nodded knowing the scene Damian would throw if he didn't comply.

Marinette's heart rate spiked and her face flushed. Maybe Damian wasn't so bad after all, but she had to get out of there before he texted.

"I really should get going too, I have to be up early tomorrow and I'm still a bit jet lagged," Marinette said standing up and Jason got up too.

"I'll take her back to the hotel," Jason said and Dick's eyes narrowed. She was a good liar but not good enough.

"Well, you're welcome back anytime," Bruce said, cracking a slight smile at the girl trying to seem friendly. Something was off about this girl and he was going to figure out what.

The moment she left the house the brothers and sisters all started gossiping about how suspicious she was.

"We'll figure it out," Bruce said. "For now, we have patrol."

Jon was pacing his room and the phone on the table buzzed.

From Chaton
Is there anything in particular you wanted me to ask about at the meeting?

Jon freaked out, he didn't know what Marinette had in mind but this confirmed his suspicions about the whole hero's situation.

To Chaton
I told the others what you need to ask just in case

From Chaton
Could we possibly talk for a bit you know, in a call

To Chaton
I'm on a subway at the moment it would be really loud, is there any way this can be said over text?

From Chaton
There was this guy today at the coffee shop, his name is Jon, he said he knows you

To Chaton
Uh yeah we met at the airport when I touched down why?

Jon was getting nervous like Adrien could see in through Marinette's phone at his lying face.

From Chaton
I kinda felt something with him, like a connection

Jon's face heated up, so this is what Alya and Nino meant by relationship troubles, oh Rao what would Marinette say?

To Chaton
Oh.

Jon dropped the phone on the bed and suddenly it started ringing. Jon panicked and ran out of the room and to Chloe's knocking on the door.
"Your friend has a crush on me and I have no idea what to do!" Jon yelled and Chloe rolled her eyes taking the American into her room for a much needed history lesson in Adrien and Marinette's relationship.

"Let's say Marinette is two sides of a coin, one is calm, cool, and collected, very easy to get along with and the other is a fighter who believes in giving everyone a chance. Adrien fell in love with the second version of her and not the first. He didn't realize there was a first side before he was in too deep," Chloe explained and Jon understood, Adrien fell in love with Ladybug but not Marinette. How heartbreaking. "You remind him of the second side though and so now he must be infatuated with you or something, he has a very specific type, and that's not a bad thing," Chloe said defending her friend quickly. "He took things too fast with Marinette and that is something he has been warned not to do again." Jon nodded.

"So why me again?" Jon asked slightly uncomfortable.

"Obviously you're cute, but you have no idea how much of her I see in you and he must see the same thing otherwise this wouldn't have happened. Him and Marinette have been having a fall out for a while over this whole identity thing so she might have seen it coming but you're in a stable relationship are you not?" Chloe asked and Jon sighed.

"We got together in that sense about four months ago but since that happened things have changed, he's more protective, not as fun to be around, and all he wants to do is impress people, I feel more like a prize than a person," Jon confessed. "That's why I'm here, I needed a break and hopefully he'll just go back to how things were when we were friends, maybe we should just be friends," Jon said looking down and Chloe's hand was on his back rubbing in comfort.

"That's rough Jon," Chloe said as the taller boy leaned against her taking in her comforting embrace. "Hopefully Marinette knows what to do with that phone."

Marinette was freaking out, she could not have a crush on Jon's surprisingly suave boyfriend. No, no, no way.

From Dami
I'm happy that you forgive me beloved, fighting the Joker last night was a bit much. I do love you though and I'll say it time and time again.

To Dami
I love you too Dami

It felt too real sending that next. She felt like... no she couldn't be in love with that idiot, emotionless, handsome, charming... no stop. Marinette picked up the phone again and dialed and pressed call on her number again and no response until the number called her back and she scrambled to pick up the phone.

"Jon?" Marinette asked and she was met with a questioning yes. "It's Marinette from the airport, we have a lot to discuss," Marinette said and Jon sighed on the other end.

"That we do."