you come home to find her asleep

You quietly closed the front door behind you as you walked inside.

You're relieved that your busy day has finally come to an end. Usually, you'd rush inside of your shared home to Lizzie, but today is different than most days. It seems your sweet girlfriend has come down with a cold.

Obviously, being the caring girlfriend that you are, you've been worried about her.

Thankfully, she's been texting you throughout the day... when she's awake, that is.

She's been taking it easy today. You practically begged her to stay in bed for the day, which she was happy to do. She barely has the energy to move, anyway.

It's not late, but you texted her before you headed home that you were on your way and you waited a couple of minutes before you left the parking lot to see if she'd reply.

She hadn't even read it when you pulled into the driveway just a couple of moments ago, so you assume she's asleep and the last thing you want to do is wake her when she's feeling so terrible.

You put your things on the floor and took off your shoes before you walked upstairs.

You stayed quiet with every step you took, slowly and carefully padding down the hall to your shared room.

You peeked inside and found that she'd left the tv on, although the volume was low. You saw her curled up in bed with her back facing you and one leg under the blanket while the other was over it.

Your heart swelled with love; the sight was almost too much for you to handle. She's just too sweet.

You tiptoed to the bed and frowned when you noticed she was starting to shiver.

You grabbed a blanket from the closet before covering her with it, draping it all the way to her shoulders before you began to brush your fingers through her hair.

She stopped shivering as she warmed up and even smiled a little in her sleep from your touch.

You put your hand on her forehead and felt that she was still running a fever.

But, thankfully, it wasn't as high as it'd been before you left earlier this morning. She's been taking her medicine, just as you'd hoped she would.

You gave her a kiss on her forehead before turning around to tiptoe out of the bedroom. You wanted her to keep sleeping and have some peace and quiet, hoping it'd help her feel a little better.

But she opened her eyes when your lips brushed against her warm skin and when she saw you starting to walk away, she gently wrapped her fingers around your wrist and whined.

"Don't go," she pleaded tiredly.

"Oh," you mumbled as you turned back around, a small smile on your face when you saw she was awake. "Hey, baby. I didn't know you were awake. I thought you were sleeping."

"You woke me up."

"I'm so sorry." You said as you brushed back the hair clinging to her forehead.

"Don't be. I've missed you today, more so than usual. You weren't here to give me cuddles and keep me warm."

She was tired, her eyes so heavy she struggled to keep them open. But she still sensed that look of guilt in your eyes.

"No, don't feel bad. Please, baby. I understand you couldn't stay home. I just meant that I missed you and your warm arms. You're home now, that's all that matters. Will you cuddle me?"

"Of course." You smiled and she found a little relief in seeing that your eyes were brighter than before.

You laid beside her and let her take her time moving into your arms. She felt weak and achy, so it took her a second longer than usual.

But once she was curled up to you, you felt all of your worries disappear right away. You only felt happiness and love as you held onto each other.

"You took your medicine?"

"Yeah." She quietly said. "A little while ago."

"Good. You're warm?"

"So warm, so cozy." She mumbled against your neck.

"Good." You said again, this time with a small smile on your face. "Go back to sleep. I'm here to hold you now."

"Okay." She said as she fell asleep, leaving you staring down at her with a look of love in your eyes and a hopeful feeling in your heart that she'd be feeling much better in a few days.