she wants to be the small spoon

She closed the door behind her with a heavy sigh before kicking off her shoes. It's been a long week for her and she was becoming worn out. Thankfully though, these next few days are her days off and she wants nothing more than to spend every minute of them by your side and in your arms.

The lights were all off, the room empty. It came as no surprise for Lizzie, considering it was well after midnight now. She knew you had to be tucked under the covers, fast asleep but waiting for her to join you.

She dragged her feet up the stairs and down the hall to your shared room. To her surprise, you were actually awake and waiting for her.

You greeted her with a bright smile and starry eyes and despite her long day and how worn out she was, she couldn't help but smile back at you as a rush of genuine happiness washed over.

"You aren't asleep?"

"I wanted to wait for you." You said and pulled up the blanket before patting her side of the bed.

She didn't hesitate to crawl into bed beside you. You laid your head on her chest and with the warmth of the blanket and now her warm embrace, you felt cozy and thought about drifting off to sleep.

Usually, the sweet sight would warm her heart. You wearing that warm and happy smile and your head resting so comfortably on her chest always brings her immense happiness.

She's the big spoon and she always adores it.

But tonight, she had the desire to be the one to be held. She wanted to put her head on your chest and hear the steady thump of your heart. She wanted to feel secure, to feel warm, to feel all of her stresses fade away.

You weren't quite asleep yet, but close to it. So you heard the sad sigh that fell from your lovely girlfriend's lips followed by the whisper of your name and the brush of her lips against your forehead.

"Yeah, Lizzie?"

"I was wondering if, maybe, I could be the small spoon tonight?"

You opened your eyes and gazed up at her with a glimmer of happiness in your orbs, watching as her cheeks turned red when you cooed and poked her cheek.

"Your day wasn't all that good, huh?"

"No." She confessed and after the word fell from her lips, you gave her a nod and watched her somewhat sad eyes light up.

She moved to lay her head on your chest and unlike before, the sigh that fell from her lips was one of contentedness; happiness.

You stared down at her, finding it absolutely adorable how cute she looked curled up with you.

You love being the small spoon; the center of her attention, the nurtured feeling that comes along with it.

But these moments with Lizzie were enough to melt your heart and murmur to her that you should cuddle like this more often, to which she chuckled sleepily.

"I love you," you mumbled and leaned down to brush your lips over the crown of your head.

She puckered her own, sweeping them across your neck as you rubbed her back.

"I love you more, y/n,"

"Impossible." You whispered. "I love you most."

It was silent for a moment, but completely comfortable. You took the moments to make her feel loved and cared for by rubbing her back and kissing her head; all the things she does for you when your day isn't so great.

And soon enough, Lizzie was so comfortable, so happy, that she drifted off to sleep. You only realized that when she snored softly.

"Cute." You chuckled. "I love you so much, baby. Sleep tight and have sweet dreams." You said and closed your eyes, ready for a good night's sleep and to dream about the love of your life, who was sound asleep in your warm embrace.