I saw Nate leaning on his car playing with the keys and walked up to him, "Give me" I said holding out my hand.

"Hello to you too" He said and threw the keys in my hand, "Find out whose they are as soon as you can. It could be very important" He said.

"Of course"

I looked down. I couldn't stand to look at him and lie like that. I was already angry at myself for treating him like shit even though he's always been there for me.

Why am I betraying my friends' trust for a girl?

That question had been on my mind for days. I wanted to hate Tessa so I can go on with my plan.

But how could I?

There wasn't a thing on this girl that I could hate. I could only hate myself for lying.

"Are you good?" Nate asked nudging my shoulder and bringing me back to reality.

"Huh? Yes, just zoned out for a few seconds" I said.

"You've been acting really stressed lately, Leo. If there's something you want to talk about, even about the job, I am always here" He said putting his hand on my shoulder, "I'm your friend before anything"

This was supposed to make me feel better, but it didn't. It just made everything worse. He cared so much about me and I was lying to his face.

"I need to go" I mumbled and walked back inside the building before he could say anything else.

I went back to my apartment to find Tessa in the same spot.

I should hate her. Why can't I hate her?

But the answer was right in front of me    as she looked up at me and smiled brightly with her legs slightly moving excitedly. She looked so happy to see me. I'd never had anyone look this happy to see me.

"I got your keys" I said showing them to her.

"Thank you" She said softly.

I nodded in response, not really in the mood to talk.

"Are you okay?" She asked the smile leaving her face. She looked concerned about me. I didn't deserve it. I was lying to her as well as all the others.

"Yes" I said, "Maybe it's better if you go now. I have some things to take care of " I said and instantly regretted when I saw how her gaze slowly dropped to the floor and how her shoulders fell.

She looked so disappointed and hurt and I was the reason.

"Oh" She said, "Okay. I'll just go get my clothes" She said and quickly walked to my room.

I ran my hands through my hair and sat on the couch, "How can I be so stupid?" I asked myself.

A few moments later Tessa walked out of the room wearing the clothes she was wearing yesterday, that were now washed and holding her phone.

She took the keys from where I'd left them and put her shoes on, "Bye" She mumbled quietly before leaving the apartment, not letting ne reply.

"Fuck. What have I done?" I said to myself and fell back on the couch.

I hated myself. I hate myself for lying to my friends, for lying to Tessa and for treating all of them like shit. I was frustrated and felt torn.

I'll make it up to her. I have to.

_________

A few days past and I had not talked to Tessa. She hadn't made any attempt to talk to me either.