A New Day

The resonating toll of bells filled the morning air, signaling the arrival of 6 o'clock. Within the Meimen Hua Sect, this was the hour chosen to rouse disciples and masters alike from their slumber. 

Hua Qingling, however, lingered lazily in her bed, reluctant to face the day. Her idleness was short-lived as a series of knocks reverberated at her chamber door. Stirring, she opened it to encounter a young girl clad in a uniform reminiscent of the Sect's disciples, a clear indication of her affiliation.

The girl waiting outside greeted her with utmost respect and handed her a luxurious robe adorned with intricately sewn magnolia flower patterns. The pattern closely resembled that of the disciples' uniform, with one notable distinction: it was more opulent and resembled the attire of inner disciples.

 "Young miss, it is already 6:15 in the morning, and it is time to awaken. Sect leader wants to meet up with you and she is calling you for breakfast."

Hua Qingling finally surrendered her idea of returning to sleep. After changing into her attire, she quietly followed the girl to the dining hall, seeking respite from the barrage of new names and titles. She refrained from inquiring about the girl's name, simply expressing her gratitude upon arriving at her aunt's side.

Hua Qingxue greeted her with a mischievous smile, "Good morning, Ah-ling... hope you slept well yesterday."

Hua Qingling responded, "Oh, yes! I had a great sleep yesterday, thanks to those pills..."
The two of them proceeded to the breakfast table with a light-hearted laugh. Regrettably, Hua Qingling found herself served with porridge, a dish far from her culinary preferences.

Suddenly, Hua Qingxue's demeanor shifted, and she adopted a grave tone. "Ah-ling, now that I've shared most of the pertinent information with you, let us proceed to the ancestral hall after we finish our meal."

Hua Qingling nodded in acquiescence, and after they completed their meal, they made their way to the ancestral hall. Upon the altar lay an incense burner and offerings, all dedicated to Hua Qingling's parents.

Together, Hua Qingling and Hua Qingxue lit several incense sticks and performed a few kowtows. Following their silent prayer, Sect Leader Hua exited the hall, leaving Hua Qingling with a solemn expression. Her aunt then presented her with a Qiankun(1) pouch.
Perplexed, Hua Qingling gazed at the pouch, and Sect Leader Hua extracted a long spiritual sword and a silver bracelet from within.

Hua Qingxue explained, "This is the spiritual sword your father left for you. The bracelet belonged to my sister; it is a spiritual weapon capable of revealing the true forms of ghouls, ghosts, or demons, regardless of their cultivation level. It can also be used to subdue them, although the effectiveness depends on the wielder's level of cultivation. These are your parents' spiritual belongings, now passed on to you."

Speechless, Hua Qingling accepted the Qiankun pouch with trembling hands. Sect Leader Hua then took the silver bracelet from the pouch and secured it around Hua Qingling's wrist. The intricately carved bracelet gleamed with beauty.

Hua Qingxue added, "Currently, your spiritual power is low, so the sword may not acknowledge you as its new master. You will be able to use it once your spiritual powers increase. For now, it will function as a regular sword."

Hua Qingling acknowledged, "I understand. Thank you."

However, their conversation was interrupted by a breathless voice from behind, calling, "Sect Leader Hua!"

It was Fu Qingyan, who rushed towards them, clutching a letter in her hand. Upon spotting Hua Qingling beside Sect Leader Hua, her eyes lit up, and she began to say, "I've missed you, shiji..e—"

But she halted abruptly, controlling her enthusiasm. Instead, she continued more formally, "Sect Leader Hua! My uncle is planning an inter-sect cultivation practice in the coming months. I'm here to invite you to send your disciples to our sect for this six-month-long session."

Hua Qingxue, now wearing a bright smile, responded, "Ah, yes, I had almost forgotten about it. Certainly, I will select my disciples and send them to Xuemen Fu Sect next month."

Fu Qingyan expressed her gratitude cheerfully for Sect Leader Hua's acceptance of the invitation. She then shifted her gaze back to her sworn sister, Hua Qingling, who was struggling to comprehend the unfolding conversation.

Fu Qingyan interjected, "Sect leader Hua, if you don't mind, can Ah-ling join us after she fully recovers?"

Sect Leader Hua hesitated for a moment and then replied, "Umm, indeed, I once considered it, as she needs to cultivate again to recover faster. But you should ask her if she wants to join."

Turning towards Hua Qingling, Fu Qingyan looked at her with hopeful puppy eyes and inquired, "What do you think?"

Hua Qingling, still trying to piece together the conversation, replied, "Oh, I find it interesting, whatever you both are talking about... but well, in reality, I am not able to catch up with what you both are discussing about. So—"

Both Fu Qingyan and Sect Leader Hua stared at her blankly in unison, their confusion mirroring hers.

Hua Qingling, feeling self-conscious, wondered, 'Did I say something strange?'

Hua Qingxue explained, "I apologize; I should have clarified. It's a cultivation training program where disciples from various sects gather to learn together. The host sect, Xuemen Fu Sect this year, offers instruction on skills, disciplines, and the history of their sect to enhance cultivation."

Hua Qingling finally understood and enthusiastically agreed, "Ah, I see now! It sounds exciting; I'd love to participate!"

Fu Qingyan was overjoyed, but Hua Qingling couldn't help but remember that she had recently lost her parents in this world. She thought that it would be better to act little somber for the time being and show less excitement.

After this, Sect Leader Hua took her leave, heading to the martial hall. Fu Qingyan expressed her gratitude and turned to Hua Qingling.
Fu Qingyan asked, "Is it alright if I continue calling you 'jie jie'? (2)"

Hua Qingxue replied with a sweet smile, "Of course, I'm fine with it. We can create new memories together from now on, even if our past is somewhat hazy."

Moved almost to tears, Fu Qingyan suggested, "Thank you so much, shijie! Shall we explore the sect together? I'll show you around. Although I don't belong here, I spent much of my childhood visiting the Meimen Hua Sect, so I know it like the back of my hand. Will you come with me?"

Hua Qingling agreed with a slight nod, "Sure! Let's go!"

For the first time since her arrival, Qin Xiaoling (now Hua Qingling) felt a deep sense of familiarity and comfort in the company of those around her, all of whom were remarkably friendly. This time, she had no intention of remaining the shy girl she once was; she was determined to live a joyful and ordinary life like the others from now on.

(1) Qiankun pouch: A versatile three dimensional pouch used by cultivators to store numerous items.

(2) Jie Jie: Refers to older sister. I have used jie jie and shijie alternatively and both mean sister in this context...