Part 36

Next day, Arya found a time when Harshad was sleeping because of the medications and informed Nandini. Nandini came wearing a niqab. Arya introduced her to others and Harshad's mom thanked her. Arya also informed them that she couldn't speak and he spoke on behalf of Nandini.

        Nandini felt a gaze on her and thought that Manik was looking at her at first. But then,

        Nandini : "I would have felt so because I am thinking of him all the time. Why would he look at me? He wouldn't even know that it's me."

        After a while, Manik came near her to take water from the table beside her. He was right next to her after a long time, and it was the first time after she had realized her feelings for him. He had been beside her many times, but this time things were different. Nandini became more conscious of her feelings and she felt her heart was beating faster and louder, so loud that the person standing next to her might hear. So, she tried to move away from Manik and her arms touched Arya.

        Arya (whispered) : "What happened?"

        She signaled that it was nothing.

        When Manik was drinking water, he ended up spilling a little water. So he took out his handkerchief, and his air pods fell off his pocket. Manik didn't pick it up. Nandini thought that he hadn't realized that they had fallen, so she picked it up and gave it to him. His hand touched hers and she felt altogether a different sensation. Manik thanked her and went away from her.

        When Manik was near Nandini, her emotions had taken over her mind, and she became alert again now.

        Nandini's thoughts : "He wasn't this careless earlier, then what has happened to him today."

        Then she remembered about the last time she had met Manik.

        Nandini : "He did recognize it was me last time though I was in disguise. Could he have figured out that it's me now too?"

        Nandini looked at him, but he wasn't looking at her then.

        Nandini : "I am thinking unnecessarily. It has been quite sometime, the chances that he will recognize me in disguise after all this time is very less."

        Though Nandini was convinced that Manik wouldn't have recognized her, she didn't want to take chances. She nudged Arya and signaled that they should leave.

        Cabir was standing next to Arya.

        Cabir (whispering) : "You said that you don't know her, but looking at how you are able to understand her and she is comfortable with you, it doesn't appear like that. What's going on between you too? .. Having a love affair or what?"

        Arya (whispering, but angry) : "Is that the only thing which revolves in your mind? Limit that to your friends who also think like you. I will punch your face if you try that with me."

        Arya didn't like him or his friends for what they had tried to do with Nandini. He was quiet only for Nandini and Harshad's sake.

        Arya : "I said that you don't know her, not me. .. She ..  works at my client's place."

        When Arya and Nandini were ready to leave and Nandini moved from where she was standing, she realized that Harshad was holding her hand.

        Harshad's mom : "It looks like he sensed his savior though he is asleep."

        Arya and Nandini left. Manik was about to leave immediately, but Cabir stopped him.

        Cabir : "Where are you going now?"