Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

I had no idea he was going to kiss her and I had no idea what affect it would have on me. If I did, I would have sure as hell tried to push the image away. I didn't want my wolf to have to see that, hell I didn't want to see that.

My steps faltered and my pace slowed. Cole, choosing that time to be observant, picked up that something was wrong. Like hell I was going to tell him. I didn't want him to know how weak she made me and my wolf. That wasn't acceptable for an Alpha, mate or not.

Feeling the pain of my wolf having to watch them, the need to end Jude's life once and for all was stronger than ever. I couldn't believe my father was still allowing that him and his mom to be in our lives. Not only did they almost destroy our pack, but now he was taking what wasn't his.

That one thought sent my anger into overdrive and I was seconds always from changing paths and running right to Rain's house to finish what Jude started, when the image of them kissing flashed in front of my mind.

My wolf let out a piercing howl that echoed through the silence of the woods. Cole immediately turned to me, probably wondering what the hell was going on, but I could barely make out what he was saying.

I saw nothing but blackness as my knees buckled beneath me and my body slammed hard against the dirt, my claws digging into the ground. My wolf was snapping at the pain in his chest and I could feel it spreading across my whole body. The blood in my veins ran cold and the drop of my stomach sent a sickening feeling to my gut. That's when I started to shake, every single inch of my body was tingling and it definitely wasn't it a good way. It was a second long kiss, but it felt as if it was never going to end.

I was faintly aware that Cole was by my side, his snout pushing against my own, but neither I nor my wolf wanted to acknowledge him. The tightening across my chest only got worse and before I knew it I couldn't breathe. My wolf's howling hadn't relented, he was in pain and I knew that, but the sound of him brought an exploding throb to my temples.

Suddenly the warmth from my body heat was gone and the shaking wasn't only from the endless pain I had, it was from the cold air that whipped around us. My mind was clouded, but I realised what had happened. I was no longer in wolf form. For some reason I had shifted back into my human form.

I didn't understand why it was happening, why it was affecting us that bad. Sure, I had felt pain before whenever I saw a guy flirting with Rain or when she gave that beautiful little smile of hers to someone other than me, but it had never been this bad. I couldn't even ask my wolf because he wasn't with me anymore. I could feel him, I could feel everything he was going through, but I couldn't reach him. He was becoming weaker and I didn't know why.

That's when I felt it and the second I did I knew exactly what was going on. It wasn't that Rain was kissing Jude; I was feeling the pain of that. It was the second heartbeat that lightly drummed against our ribcage that was destroying my wolf. He could feel it wasn't only Rain enjoying it, but her wolf as well. She hadn't pushed him away. She hadn't automatically jumped to the defence of her mate or the protection of her human. She didn't see him as a threat or a stranger, she saw him as something more.

The realisation hit me like a truck. Rain's wolf was slowly accepting Jude in our place. That's why she had let it happen, that's why Rain still had her wolf with her and that's why she was allowing Rain and Jude to become so close.

Her wolf was finding a new mate.

Nothing that I had ever been through had made me cry. Not one thing. Yet as I lay there, the hard dirt pressed against my body, my wolf crying out in heartbreak and in relentless pain, I couldn't do anything but let tears fill my eyes.